FINAL: No. 10 Penn State comes back to defeat IU 45-31

Junior running back Devine Redding runs the ball into score for Indiana during the second quarter of play against Penn State.

IU welcomed No. 10 Penn State to Memorial Stadium just one win away from bowl eligibility, while Penn State traveled to Bloomington riding a 5-game winning streak.

It didn’t take long for the Nittany Lions to score, as they marched down the field in 3:32 in part thanks to a 32-yard catch by running back Saquon Barkley. Quarterback Trace McSorley drew first blood when he escaped the pocket on third down and ran the ball in from 10 yards out.

After 14:15 without a score, IU began the second quarter with the ball near its own 40-yard line. Sophomore recivers Donavan Hale and Luke Timian made critical catches and Devine Redding totaled 17 yards on four carries before senior receiver Ricky Jones reeled in a third-down reception for a touchdown.

Junior kicker Griffin Oakes hit the extra point and the Hoosiers tied the Nittany Lions at 7.

Later in the second quarter, sophomore punter Joseph Gedeon punted the ball inside Penn State’s 10-yard line, but sophomore receiver Isaac James unintentionally touched the live ball while blocking. Penn State recovered at the IU six-yard line, and McSorley tossed the ball to Chris Goodwin for the easy touchdown.

Penn State took the lead once again with 4:43 left in the half, 14-7.

After another IU punt, McSorley took a gamble with a deep pass down the left side of the field and junior cornerback Rashard Fant came down with an interception. Fant returned the interception to Penn State’s 32-yard line.

The Hoosiers drove 32 yards in one minute to tie the game with a minute remaining in the half on a 12-yard run by Redding. IU entered the halftime tied despite a -3 mark in the turnover battle.

IU opened the second half with its longest drive of the game, at three minutes and 22 seconds, and Oakes capped it off with a 47-yard field goal to give the Hoosiers their first lead of the game, 17-14.

After getting to the 1-yard line and failing to get the touchdown on fourth down, the Hoosiers got the ball back on a Penn State punt.

Junior quarterback Zander Diamont found junior receiver Camion Patrick 52 yards down the right side of the field and three plays later, Redding found the end zone from six yards out. IU took a 10-point lead late in the third quarter, 24-14.

On the next drive, Penn State was able to complete two big passes on a 70-yard drive to pull within three points after a touchdown grab by Chris Godwin.

IU punted on its next drive, and Penn State drove 74 more yards down the field to score again on a Saquon Barkley 4-yard run. The Nittany Lions took the lead after posting 14 unanswered points, 28-24.

IU responded on the next drive though, as junior quarterback Richard Lagow hit sophomore receiver Nick Westbrook for 40 yards and the lead, 31-28.

Down by three with 6:53 left to go in the game, Penn State drove 7 plays for 57 yards and capped off the drive with a 2-yard Barkley touchdown.

The Nittany Lions led the Hoosiers, 35-31, with 3:58 left.

IU answered with a drive that ended in a turnover on downs, giving the ball to Penn State, which kicked a field goal to go up by seven points, 38-31, with one minute left in the game.

On its potential game-tying drive, IU turned the ball over on a strip-sack that was returned for a touchdown, icing the Penn State victory at 45-31.

Final stats:

QB Richard Lagow: 23-40, 292 yards, 2 touchdowns

RB Devine Redding: 23 carries, 108 yards, 2 touchdowns

WR Camion Patrick: 3 catches, 91 yards

Taylor Lehman