Greek housing agreement language modified

The controversial housing agreement some people thought allowed the IU Police Department free entrance into greek houses on campus has been modified.

The deadline for organizations to sign has been extended to Sept. 30, Student Life and Learning Director Stevan Veldkamp said in an email.

SLL and IUPD said at a meeting Aug. 22 the agreement never allowed IUPD free entrance to greek houses.

Now the document has been reworded and reorganized to reflect more clearly this assertion.

Controversy over the agreement mostly came from a section stating “university personnel” could enter any house for an inspection so long as the personnel provided 24-hour advance notice.

Now the agreement makes clear that the only organizations with this privilege are the IU Office of Environmental Health and Safety — to inspect kitchens and look for problems like mold, asbestos and pests — and IU Office of Insurance, Loss Control and Claims — which can conduct fire-safety inspections.

Kitchen inspections do not require 24-hour advance notice, according to the updated document.

The agreement also now clarifies under what circumstances IUPD can enter greek houses.

As IUPD and SLL representatives said at the meeting Aug. 22, IUPD can only enter houses in an emergency situation or with probable cause.

The agreement also included other regulations on greek houses, such as a ban on hard liquor.

[COLUMN: Greek life reform is well overdue]

Some criticized this rule as one that could potentially push hard liquor consumption into private areas or off campus with possibly dangerous results.

The agreement also requires greek organizations to register any event serving alcohol with IU at least 10 business days in advance.

The modified agreement specified organizations must register with IU any event with alcohol, whether it takes place in the chapter’s house or not.