COLUMN: Greek life reform is well overdue

With the news that Acacia is returning to campus this year after a four-year hiatus comes yet another greek-life-related memory that leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

For those of us in our fourth year, Acacia was kicked out just a year or so before we arrived on campus. I’m sure most of us remember friends telling us the rumors about Acacia in incredulous tones.

Fast forward three years, and you have now most likely heard so many distasteful stories about greek life that the Acacia incident seems like an everyday occurrence.

Acacia was kicked off campus in 2012 due to hazing and drug dealing allegations. Of course, there are many stories about what happened. These more salacious accounts, exact details aside, are almost common now.

In the three years since hearing the Acacia story, countless stories of drug use and dealing, sexual assaults, hazing and more have permeated campus’ student life.

Recent examples, such as Alpha Tau Omega and Phi Kappa Psi being kicked out of their houses following various scandals and a member of Delta Tau Delta being arrested for dealing drugs out of the house, further illuminate the levels of absurdity that greek life has reached 
at IU.

What is it going to take for us to reform the greek 
system?

The fact that greek culture has stooped to the point where individuals must be on high alert in consuming only drinks they’ve poured themselves is actually sick. The fact that this is the case is horrible in and of itself.

Most of the issues I’ve listed are related to fraternities, and that is where I think the focus should be, at least for now. The ridiculous cycle that currently exists sometimes “punishes” one class of brothers without creating a lasting deterrent for the next class.

Fraternities can simply rotate in when one house is kicked out, and if the new residents get caught, you guessed it!

The previously kicked-out fraternity can move right back in.

What is this actually teaching anyone?

An article by Daniel Schwarz, a professor at Cornell, does an excellent job examining whether fraternities have outlived their 
usefulness.

Everything that is accomplished through greek life can more or less be accomplished without it: philanthropy, involvement, housing and more.

All this without horrendous crimes being perpetrated within the walls of these houses and almost no one being held accountable.

What would school actually look like without greek life? Do people think they would not make friends, or not be able to be involved on campus? Is that really the true motivation behind rushing today?

I want to stress that I do not think the greek system should have to be shut down in order to drive change, and I’m not trying to paint all greek members with the same brush. But greek life being shut down entirely would never happen anyway, not with this generation.

Until the students and the University hold these organizations truly accountable, and demand transparency, we are contributing to the problem. We can help prevent all the dangerous and degrading activities that contribute nothing to the student body’s welfare or education.

If we have that opportunity, why would we not jump at the chance?