Business opportunists take advantage of convention

Kevin McCray has sold 10 Donald Trump T-shirts in the last four minutes. It’s been a slow day for business.

McCray, 42, was one of many capitalizing on increased political traffic to Cleveland this week. He set up a table with different varieties of Trump shirts and buttons on the edge of Fourth Street, near where delegates and members of the press entered the convention hall.

“This is a serious business opportunity,” said McCray, who was wearing one of his own shirts. “I do this full-time. I make more money selling shirts than I ever did in a real job. I am cashing out, man.”

McCray said he makes sure to tell everyone who buys a shirt from him he is a huge Trump supporter and always gives money back to the Trump campaign.

“But I actually sell Hillary shirts, too, and say the same thing,” McCray said. “Look, if I sell 300 shirts, I can make $6,000. If I sell shirts from two campaigns, I can double the profit.”

One of the shirts features Trump’s face on a $100 bill. Another depicts Trump’s hair on top of the official “Make America Great Again” slogan. At 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, there were only two of those shirts left.

Booths similar to his lined Fourth Street as well as streets near Cleveland’s public square. Some also sold Trump bobblehead figures and hats that resemble Trump’s hair.

These are only one of many types of unusual business opportunities created through national convention attention. Chia pets that look like Trump and Hillary Clinton’s heads have been advertised on television.

A food truck parked near protests in the public square sold burritos for $15 each. Restaurants near the convention center entrance leased out their buildings to news organizations.

“It’s like people renting out their apartments and houses for the week,” a Bloomberg Politics staff member said while sitting outside the impromptu Bloomberg newsroom on Fourth Street. “They make a lot more money letting us use the space than they would doing regular business for the week.”

While the restaurants made money by moving out for the week, people like McCray make their money by moving in. McCray said he is from Columbus, Ohio, and travels to campaign stops to sell shirts. He said he’s been gearing up for the convention for months.

Rita Gaus, a woman from the Illinois delegation, stopped by McCray’s table before the Tuesday convention session began.

“How much are you charging?” she asked.

“The buttons are $5 for one and $10 for three,” McCray said. “Shirts are $20.”

“And you’re out here because you support Trump, right?” Gaus asked. She bought a T-shirt and three buttons.

“Absolutely, ma’am,” McCray said.