Can I reduce my pre-ejaculate fluid?

My entire life I have always experienced leaking pre-ejaculate before and after getting hard.

It does not interfere with my normal function. I still have a large volume and very good distance when I masturbate.

My penis size is well above normal.

But when I get romantically involved with someone it can be really embarrassing — just light flirting, maybe a kiss or two, I am still soft, not even hard yet, but I’m soaking wet with pre-cum.

I’m not talking a little bit, I’m talking soaked.

But when I finally do ejaculate I still ejaculate large amount.

I’ve had women put their hand on my pants and start to play with it and say, ‘Oh my God, you came already!’

Is there any medication for this? Thank you.

Pre-ejaculatory fluids are made by the Cowper’s glands and the glands of Littre.

These fluids are actually pretty amazing as they are thought to neutralize the acidic environment of the urethra, thus making it safe for sperm to travel through the urethra (important in instances where men are trying to get pregnant with a partner).

The amount of fluid varies among men.

Some men don’t notice pre-ejaculate (also called “pre-cum”) and other produce just a few drops or even several milliliters when aroused. Some men who produce a lot of ejaculate feel embarrassed by this, and it can get in the way of dating, hooking up and sexual activity with partners.

There have been several case histories documented with doctors reporting success with 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors, so that is something you can ask your healthcare provider about.

I recommend making an appointment with a urologist who can ask you questions about your experience to see if this is what might be going on with your body (or whether it’s something else, like prostate fluids or something else entirely), and what his or her recommendation for treatment might be.

And, of course, some men choose to not use medical treatment and to just make peace with the way their body works. That’s up to you, and at least you can explore your options by meeting with a 
urologist.

Kinsey Confidential is a collaboration of The Kinsey Institute and the IU School of Public Health. Dr. Debby Herbenick is an associate professor at Indiana University and author of six books about sex including “The Coregasm Workout” and “Sex Made Easy.”Find our blog and archived Q&A at KinseyConfidential.org. Follow Dr. Herbenick on Twitter @DebbyHerbenick and Kinsey Confidential at @KinseyCon.