Laura Jane Hyde

ONLINE ONLY: Jewelry sale to raise money for heart disease

The Heart Project, a women's heart disease awareness organization, will hold "Untax My Heart," a jewelry sale and fundraiser Saturday. Proceeds from the event will go to support the Women's Heart Foundation. The Heart Project collects unwanted costume jewelry all year long and will sell it at the event, located at the 10th and College Building courtyard. The event will run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Company plays music promotion game

In a brown warehouse-like building near the railroad tracks on Allen Street, one would hardly expect to find an eclectic mix of thousands of compact discs and diverse musical instruments from all over the world. But that is exactly what is found in suite 137. That office houses Rock Paper Scissors, a company that publicizes and markets world music and reggae labels in the United States for clients around the world. Dmitri Vietze owns the business and tries to overlap music and culture to help people understand different cultures through the world of music. Rock Paper Scissors serves a niche market in the music industry. The company caters to journalists who are considering coverage of its clients, clients who are looking for publicity success and music fans looking for new and old sounds from around the globe, according to the company's Web site. It is not uncommon for Vietze and his three employees to talk to clients in France, Germany, Spain and India on any given day.

Heroic Civil War horse's story chronicled in new book

Bridgette Z. Savage of Stanford, Ind., recently wrote and illustrated her new book "Fly Like the Wind." The book is based on the true story of a horse, Fly, and her rider George Barrett in the American Civil War. Savage got the idea to write the story from the Working Men's Institute in New Harmony, Ind., where she came across the mare's skeleton, along with a four-page account of the mare's life titled, "The Story of Old Fly." The book tells of Barrett and Fly's experiences in the Civil War in the Union Army's 1st Calvary, 28th Regiment, and how their friendship carried them through the war.

It's all in the hips

Belly dancers with colorful costumes, exotic jewelry, convulsing hip movements and bare midriffs will migrate to Bloomington this weekend. But even though there will be special performances and workshops dedicated to the ancient art form this weekend, students can participate in belly dancing events year-round. The Bloomington Area Arts Council and Different Drummer Belly Dancers will host a Tribal: Pura, a tribal style belly dance workshop and "An Evening of Belly Dance" on Saturday.

More articles »