ONLINE ONLY: Jewelry sale to raise money for heart disease

The Heart Project, a women's heart disease awareness organization, will hold "Untax My Heart," a jewelry sale and fundraiser Saturday. Proceeds from the event will go to support the Women's Heart Foundation.\nThe Heart Project collects unwanted costume jewelry all year long and will sell it at the event, located at the 10th and College Building courtyard. The event will run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.\nThe event will also feature heart disease expert speakers and consultants, including Dr. Jennifer Peterson, a cardiologist, and Betty Sturgeon, RN, BSN, CCRN.\nHornbone, a brass ensemble, will provide entertainment starting at 12:30 p.m. \nAt 2 p.m., an auction of jewelry donated by local jewelry stores and designers will take place. The event will also have Aveda mini-facials, chair massages, blood-pressure screenings and food.\nBrea Weil-Hearon is chair of The Heart Project and started the program in 2004. She has made it her life's ambition to help prevent women from suffering a premature death from heart disease. \nThe Heart Project has its roots in Weil-Hearon's mother's will, which stipulated that her jewelry and needlepoint not be divided until Weil-Hearon was 21. When the time came to divide the jewelry between Weil-Hearon and her sister, they were at a loss as to what to do with the jewelry. They eventually decided to sell it.\n"I do this in memory of my mom, who died of a massive heart attack in 1994," Weil-Hearon said. "She was misdiagnosed and was told she was just having panic attacks."\nThe money The Heart Project raises will go to benefit the Women's Heart Foundation. Some of that money will go to help educate nurses about heart disease in women in order to help correctly diagnose women with heart disease.