Support the Indiana Daily Student to beat Purdue's student newspaper, the Exponent, through making a donation to the IDS Legacy Fund! Whichever publication raises more money before the Purdue v. IU football game Nov. 26 "wins" the challenge, but all donations go to support student journalism at the respective publications. To help IU beat Purdue and support the IDS, follow this link to donate.

David J. Phillip

Houston Mayor

Houston mayor-elect Annise Parker, center, celebrates her runoff election victory Saturday with her partner Kathy Hubbard, left, at a campaign party in Houston. Parker defeated former city attorney Gene Locke making Houston the largest U.S. city to elect an openly gay mayor.

Gina Hadley sifts through her destroyed home in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike on Wednesday in Galveston, Texas. Residents were allowed to return to the island Wednesday.

With the Gulf of Mexico seen at right, a beachfront home stands among the debris on Sunday after Hurricane Ike hit the area in Gilchrist, Texas. Ike was the first major storm to directly hit a major U.S. metro area since Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans in 2005.

Track Field Trials

Aarik Wilson, winner of the men's triple jump final, leaps towards the sand pit at the U.S. Olympic Track and Field Trials in Eugene, Ore., Sunday, July 6, 2008. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)

Track Field Trials

Masters Golf

Tiger Woods tees off on the eighth hole during the final round of the 2008 Masters golf tournament at the Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Ga., Sunday, April 13, 2008. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)

Johnson Funeral

From left former first ladies Nancy Reagan, Rosalynn Carter and former President Jimmy Carter, First Lady Barbara Bush, former President Bill Clinton and Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y. attend a funeral service for former first lady Lady Bird Johnson Saturday in Austin, Texas. Johnson the widow of former President Lyndon B. Johnson died Wednesday of natural causes. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip/ Pool)

More media »