*Illinois (16-6, 5-4) 42

No. 9 Michigan State (17-5, 6-3) 41

*=Home

• Let's get the avious stuff out of the way first: This game was low scoring, neither team could hit water if they fell out of a boat and Spartans forward Draymond Green was injured -the extent of which is unknown, but he was favoring his right knee.
  • Now on to how this affects the Hoosiers. If you're a big proponent of how IU finishes in the Big Ten standing and what seed they get in the tournament, you are not rooting for middle-of-the-pack teams like Illinois. With the Illini's win Tuesday night, they leapfrog Purdue and Indiana, putting Illinois fifth and IU seventh. But, there's still many games left to be played, nine for the Hoosiers.
  • IU gets Illinois at home in three games, on Feb. 9. So what can IU learn from this game, in which Michigan State was one Derrick Nix free throw or quality final possession away from victory?

1. Force Illinois guard Brandon Paul to do it all by himself. OK, I know what you're thinking. Paul lit up Ohio State for 43 points and Illinois came away with the upset win. Well, that was an anomaly, I assure you Paul will not put up that many points too often. He averages 14 points a game, Paul will get his. But shut down those around him and suddenly, the Illini guard will realize that he can't do it all by himself.

No.20 Wisconsin (18-5, 7-3) 52

*Penn State (10-13, 2-8) 46

• I feel like at least some order is being restored to the Big Ten with the reemergence of Wisconsin as a conference powerhouse. The Badgers have now won 6-straight games, all of which have been in-conference. Wisconsin's next contest is a date with No.3 Ohio State on Feb. 4 in Madison, especially because it's in the Kohl Center, I cannot wait to watch this one.
  • IU will not play either of these teams again this year, so rather than dwell on numbers and analysis, I'll direct you to the...

UPDATED BIG TEN RANKINGS

1. Ohio State 7-2 19-3
2. Wisconsin 7-3 18-5
3. Michigan State 6-3 17-5
Michigan 6-3 16-6
5. Illinois 5-4 16-6
Purdue 5-4 15-7
7. Indiana 5-5 . 17-5
8. Minnesota 4-5 16-6
9. Nebraska 3-6 11-9
Iowa 3-6 11-11
11. Northwestern 2-6 12-8
12. Penn State 2-8 10-13