IU freshman guard Nick Williams looses the handle on the ball as he heads to the basket during the first half of IU's 65-52 loss to Illinois on Sunday at Assembly Hall. Williams had eight points. (James Brosher | IDS)

This year's Hoosiers have now lost more games than any other team in the program's 109-year history.

On Sunday, in front of a striped out, sold out Assembly Hall crowd, IU continued to reluctantly make history this season. The team's 65-52 loss to No. 22 Illinois marked the Hoosiers' 18th loss of the year, the most in school history.

The first half featured a movie Hoosier fans have become accustomed to seeing this season: IU's opponents couldn't miss, the Hoosiers couldn't make.

With 2:06 left in the first half, the blue and orange were up 36-15 after Illinois guard Jeffrey Jordan scored on a lay-up to put his team up 21.

In the second half, Crean switched defenses and essentially dared Frazier - a career 29.6 percent shooter from behind the arc - to shoot.

After turning down several open shots earlier in the half, Frazier finally accepted Crean's challenge. With the crowd roaring, the shot clock winding down and his team only ahead by six, Frazier hit a 3-pointer from the top of the key that sealed IU's 14th loss in 15 games.

Seconds before Frazier's shot silenced the 17,346 in attendance, the Hoosiers were on a 25-10 run, sparked by freshman guard Malik Story and Matt Roth's aggressive play.

But Shaquille-esque free-throw shooting kept the Hoosiers at a safe distance from taking the lead. Wearing out the back of the rim, IU shot just 11-of-24 from the charity stripe.

The team now has three days off before hosting Wisconsin on Thursday. Before taking questions from the media after the game, Crean said Dumes' suspension is "still very much a basketball issue" and that he's been in contact with Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delaney and IU Athletics Director Fred Glass concerning the situation.

Crean gave no timeline for Dumes' return.

For more coverage of today's game check back with the basketblog and idsnews.com For a blow-by-blow recap of today's live blog, follow the jump.