IU freshman forward Sasha Chaplin puts up a shot during the second half of IU's 84-68 win in the first round of the Women's NIT on Friday night at Assembly Hall. (James Brosher/Indiana Daily Student)Went to practice today and learned some more information about the injury. Still don't know the exact specifics about the injury, but when i do you will be the first to know...Here is a story i have written about the injury.

Also stay tuned for tomorrow's preview of the Big Ten opener against Northwestern.

Freshman forward Sasha Chaplin will be out for the remainder of the season, according to an IU release on Wednesday.

IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack said it's going to hard since Chaplin was a big part of what the team was trying to accomplish.

"Its tough seeing someone with that ability not be a part of what we are trying to do, and was such a focal point of what we were trying to do," Legette-Jack said. "Right now we gotta play for 13. Right now we have one troop down so we have to pick up the slack."

Chaplin, a native of St. Petersburg, Fla., injured her knee on Dec. 9 driving to the basket in a victory over Butler. After a visit to the doctor this week it was decided that Chaplin would have season ending surgery before the end of this month.

Legette-Jack declined to comment on the specifics of the injury, and an e-mail to the athletic trainer for the team, Robert Black has not been returned.

Chaplin's teammate and roommate Danila Andujar said her friend has continued to help the team from the sideline.

"She has been the same great player after the injury as she was prior to the injury," Andujar said. "She still motivates us on the bench, she does everything to keep our minds right, she is still a big contribution to our wins."

Because the season is still in the beginning stages Chaplin will still be eligible to play for four years following this year.

Junior guard Jamie Braun said that when Chaplin went down the team knew it wasn't going to be good, but added the team has gotten closer from the loss.

"Our team, I think we have gotten closer knowing we are another person down," Braun said. "You never want to be another player down. It just hurts the team, but I think we have gotten stronger and each one of us on the team knows we have to play our role and play it even harder then we did before."

The Hoosiers open Big Ten play on Saturday at home against Northwestern. More information will be added about the injury as it becomes available.