This is the sixth installment of our summer "Getting to know" series on IU's 10 new players. Today, we focus on Nick Williams, a 6-foot-3 185-pound guard from Mobile, Alabama.

Behind Nick Williams When a big time head coach leaves the program he built for another school, there typically is a recruiting dust cloud left behind. Recruits find themselves committed to team's without leaders and want out of their letters of intent to explore other options or follow the coaches they've built relationships with.

This spring, Nick Williams found himself left behind in the dust. After building a two-year relationship with Tom Crean and committing to attend Marquette, Crean bolted the school for Indiana. Williams received his release from Marquette, and immediately began considering Arkansas and Indiana as his plan B. After visiting Arkansas, Williams decided to re-commit to Crean and play his college basketball at IU without ever stepping foot on campus.

On LeFlore (Ala.) High School's campus, Williams is something of a legend. Fresh out of middle school, Williams played varsity basketball for LeFlore. He would go on to lead LeFlore to a state championship, three state finals and a combined 126-8 record.

Williams was tabbed Alabama's High School Player of the Year after averaging 21 points per game and leading his team to a 30-3 record. Despite his consistent production over four years, Williams' ranking via recruiting services is a bit skewed. According to ESPN, Williams is the No. 35 prospect overall in the class of 2008 and the No. 9 shooting guard. But according to Rivals, Williams is a polar opposite No. 145 overall and the 34th-best player at his position.

On the floor Despite having combo guard size, Williams is actually more of a 2 or 3. Before Demarcus Cousins came to LeFlore, Williams played primarily inside. His natural position is the 2, but with a 7-foot wingspan, Williams can play much bigger. He's a guard who can score in a lot of different ways, like Memphis's Chris Douglas-Roberts. It might not always be pretty, but he can get the ball in the basket. His range isn't spectacular, but Williams could develop into an above-average 3-point shooter.

Despite his versatility, Williams is most effective in an up-and-down offense like the one Tom Crean will run at IU. He's good without the ball and can create open spaces to generate offense.

How Williams fits in with the Hoosiers There is an early consensus that Williams will be IU's leading scorer next season. He played as the No. 1 option on his team at LeFlore and will likely fill a similar role for the Hoosiers. With IU's abundance of guards, Williams might play as the "big guard" in a three-guard offense, which means he might have his hands full on defense. His athletic build and exceptional wingspan should help him on nights he faces tough assignments.

Outside of Devan Dumes, Williams is IU's most polished and decorated player. He's had experience being the go-to-guy and will do so this season on an inexperienced team. One likely reason Williams followed Crean to IU was because of the opportunity to be a big-time scorer right away. There will be no shortage of opportunities for Alabama's reigning player of the year.

People who know more about Williams than me "Nick really addresses a need for us and gives us a big, strong presence in\0x2028the backcourt. He is a winner who is tough and physical and he boasts a work ethic that has helped him improve his game in a variety of\0x2028ways each year. He has done a wonderful job at making the transition as a\0x2028perimeter player after beginning his career as an inside performer. He\0x2028comes from an outstanding high school program and has been well coached\0x2028throughout his career." - Tom Crean

"You can't find him, you go to the nearest basketball court," he says. "That, or the library. There he'll be. He's all character, all class." -- LeFlore coach Otis Hughley via Herald-Times

"I'll tell you this, if anybody is ready to play right away, he is ... He's someone you can play wherever you need him. He's one of those guys you just have to put on the floor. He's long, rangy, and can score in a number of ways. He's really versatile." -- Hughley via Scout

"Nick takes advantage of easy opportunities to score. When he can get in an up and down game, he thrives. He is a good athlete who scores while going to the basket. He has not perfected long range and seems to try and get too close to the basket at times, rather than pulling up from 15 feet. He plays hard and wants to help his team. Nick is not afraid to mix it up and battle for rebounds against bigger players. Williams' strength is in his transition game as he really gets up and down the floor. He has a nice, athletic body. His mid-range shot is good but could be better. Right now he is not really sure of the difference between good and bad shots. He is used to being the number one option so how he reacts in a secondary role will be interesting to see." -- ESPN

"Nick has stayed loyal to us, just as we have to him, and we feel we have added a bona fide Big East combo guard. He is a tough minded, physical player who is a relentless winner and he has worked hard to improve his perimeter scoring." - Crean (when Williams committed to Marquette)

The numbers don't lie... '07-'08: 21 points per game '06-'07: 17 ppg and 8 rpg

A little bit more on Williams * In high school, Williams played alongside Demarcus Cousins, one of the class of 2009's top prospects and a UAB (Mike Davis) commit. * A little slow to load, but here is a Q&A with Nick Williams shortly after he committed. * Rivals video highlights of Williams playing for LeFlore.

Check back for our next featured Hoosier, Tijan Jobe.