sports baseball

Indiana baseball completes improbable comeback, takes series at Purdue

spiubase04262024-16.jpg

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — With his team trailing 4-1 in the seventh inning and runners on second and third base, Indiana (27-19-1, 12-6 Big Ten) outfielder Devin Taylor lined out to Purdue (31-17, 12-6 Big Ten) second baseman Ty Gill, coming up empty for the third time after hitting the ball 105 miles-per-hour or harder. He stood motionless at home plate, in sheer disbelief of the misfortune that befell him and the Indiana offense. Things looked bleak.  

“It was comical how many times we lined out,” Indiana infielder Brock Tibbitts said postgame. “Everyone was swinging at good pitches, putting the ball in play. The big thing was to just keep doing what we were doing. Eventually, it all evens out.”  

Fortunately for the Hoosiers, right-handed reliever Jacob Vogel was dealing. He closed the game with four scoreless innings to keep Purdue from extending its three-run lead. Indiana went down in order in the eighth inning and the Boilermakers looked poised to send the fans at Alexander Field home happy. Unfortunately for Purdue, baseball games last nine innings.  

Facing a Purdue bullpen that showed flaws in Indiana’s Saturday blowout win, Tibbitts and outfielder Carter Mathison began the ninth-inning Indiana rally with a pair of one-out singles. Purdue head coach Greg Goff brought in righty Aaron Suval to face former Boilermaker Jake Stadler, who represented the tying run for Indiana. Stadler worked a four-pitch walk to load the bases, and pinch-hitter Andrew Wiggins walked on a full count to bring Indiana within two runs.  

“I trust Andrew to have a good at-bat,” Indiana head coach Jeff Mercer said postgame.  

Wiggins has seen limited action since sustaining a wrist injury at Minnesota in mid-April, and his only plate appearance versus Purdue was key.  

“I've known him since he was in eighth grade,” Mercer said. “When he tells me he’s ready to go, I trust him.”  

Wiggins stood on first base representing the go-ahead run, and he advanced to second after Taylor hit a comebacker off Suval’s leg, scoring Mathison. With the go-ahead run in scoring position, third baseman Josh Pyne struck out swinging, putting the game in the hands of outfielder Nick Mitchell. If he reached base, Indiana would tie the game. If he failed, Indiana would drop the game and series.  

Mitchell worked a five-pitch walk and pinch runner Morgan Colopy, representing Stadler, crossed home plate to tie the game. Shortstop Tyler Cerny strode to the plate with Wiggins inching off third base, looking to give Indiana its first lead of the game. 

On a half-swing, Cerny tapped a comebacker to Suval on the mound, much like Taylor’s hit earlier in the inning. Suval did not field it cleanly and Cerny reached base without a play. Wiggins scored, giving Indiana a 5-4 lead. Taylor was thrown out trying to score from second base, but the comeback was complete.  

With his family sitting among the Indiana contingent behind the first-base dugout, Vogel turned a 1-2-3 bottom of the ninth to cap off his longest outing of the season — four innings, no runs, two hits and a walk on 51 pitches. After Mathison caught a deep fly ball from Purdue designated hitter Logan Sutter to end the game, Indiana fans chanted, “IU!” as Boilermaker fans exited their seats in stunned silence.  

“Growing up in Indiana, I was always an Indiana fan,” Vogel said postgame. “To do this in front of Purdue makes it that much sweeter.”  

Mercer said that Vogel’s lively four-seam fastball presented a difficult matchup for Purdue hitters. “He came (into the dugout) and said, ‘If we tie it, I want the ball.’ If you know him, that’s about as much as he ever says. He did an amazing job.”  

Purdue fans hurled countless choice words at Indiana players throughout the weekend, and Mercer praised how his players responded with their on-field performance.  

“We’re professionals. We responded on the field,” Mercer said. “Outside of the name on their jersey, I couldn’t care less.”   

With Sunday’s victory, Indiana becomes the first road team to win the rivalry series against Purdue since the Boilermakers took two out of three games at Sembower Field in May 2010. The Hoosiers are now tied with Purdue and Nebraska for second place in the Big Ten, with Illinois one game ahead at 13-5.   

Indiana briefly returns to Bloomington to face the University of Cincinnati at 6 p.m. Tuesday, then hits the road to take on Nebraska on a three-game set beginning at 7 p.m. Friday. The series opener will be streamed on Big Ten Plus, while the games at 3 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday will be broadcast on Big Ten Network. All times are Eastern.  

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Nick Rodecap (@nickrodecap) for updates throughout the Indiana baseball season.