arts iu auditorium performances

Tony Award-winning ‘Shrek – The Musical’ to take on a two-night run in IU Auditorium

entshrekbrief040224

The Tony Award-winning “Shrek – The Musical” will have a two-night run in Bloomington, with shows at 7:30 p.m., April 9-10 in the IU Auditorium.  

Based on the 2001 Oscar Award-winning DreamWorks film, “Shrek – The Musical” opened on Broadway in December 2008 and ran until January 3, 2010, after 441 shows and 37 previews. Set in the fairy-tale land of Duloc, “Shrek” tells the story of its namesake ogre, his side-kick Donkey, the fantasy characters forced into Shrek’s swamp after being banished from Duloc and their journey to save the Princess Fiona while fighting the evil Lord Farquaad. After winning the inaugural Best Animated Feature Academy Award in 2002, “Shrek” was followed by not only Broadway’s theatrical adaptation, but three sequels and two spin-offs.  

Written by David Lindsay-Abaire and music done by Jeanine Tesori, the theatrical adaptation of the animated comedy won the 2009 Tony Award for Best Costume Design of a Musical and Outstanding Set Design from both the Drama Desk Awards and Outer Critics Circle in 2009, among other accolades. The “Shrek – The Musical” 2024 tour is directed and choreographed by Danny Mefford. Known for his work on the “Dear Evan Hansen musical, Mefford has been nominated for Astaire, Drama Desk and Lucille Lortel awards for his choreographic contributions.  

With Nicholas Hambruch cast as Shrek, Cecily Dionne Davis as Princess Fiona and Naphtali Yaakov Curry as Donkey, the “Shrek – The Musical” 2024 North American tour began February 24 in Utica, New York.  Tour shows are scheduled to wrap up August 18 in Toronto. The IU Auditorium shows will follow a two-night run in Atlanta.  

Tickets for the April 9 and 10 shows, starting at $17 for IU students and $30 for the general public, are available for purchase on the IU Auditorium website