‘Definitely difficult’: Liam McNeeley talks decommitment from Indiana men’s basketball

spiubbmcneeley040124.jpg

As 5-star high school basketball recruits Liam McNeeley and Flory Bidunga took their seats at 3:32 p.m. EST Monday inside the Dallas Room in the JW Marriott hotel in Houston, the moderator started his introduction. 

Bidunga was noted as a University of Kansas commit — but for McNeeley, no such title was used. 

One month ago, McNeeley would’ve been listed as an Indiana signee. Instead, the Richardson, Texas, native is simply dubbed “uncommitted.” 

McNeeley decommitted from Indiana on March 7, the day after head coach Mike Woodson was officially retained for next season. For the 18-year-old, reversing course was simply a business decision. 

“It was definitely difficult, but I've got to do what's best for me and my family,” McNeeley said. “I called Coach Woodson, and he wished me all the best.” 

McNeeley is averaging 12.7 points, 3.8 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.1 steals per game across 30 games for top-ranked Montverde Academy in Montverde, Florida. He’s connected on 80% of his free throws, 51% of his 255 field goal attempts and 46% from 3-point range, nailing 64-of-139 tries. 

A consensus 5-star prospect, McNeeley was rated as Indiana’s fourth-best recruit in program history, according to 247sports

Since re-opening his recruitment, McNeeley has heard from Michigan, Kansas, the University of Connecticut, the University of Houston and the University of Kentucky. 

But for now, recruiting isn’t at the forefront of McNeeley’s mind. His sights are set on the McDonald’s All-American Game, taking place April 2 in Houston, and then his ensuing flight to Indiana for the Chipotle Nationals on April 4-6 in Brownsburg. 

Thus, until his high school season officially ends, McNeeley’s recruitment isn’t a priority — but a month ago, it wasn’t expected to be.

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Press (@MattPress23) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball offseason.