sports baseball

Indiana baseball’s Jasen Oliver wins Big Ten Freshman of the Week

IMG_2960-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Indiana baseball second baseman Jasen Oliver won Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors, the conference announced Monday afternoon.

Jasen lands B1G Freshman of the Week! ? pic.twitter.com/zB7FSUoa7c

From March 26-31, Oliver batted .550 and knocked three homers and seven RBIs while extending his hitting streak to 11 games. The award marks Indiana’s first since now-sophomore Tyler Cerny won it April 24 last year. 

In 18 games played this season — and 13 starts — Oliver boasts a .388 batting average and 1.153 OPS. Oliver’s reliable glove, which head coach Jeff Mercer has lauded throughout the season, has made him a regular in the lineup over junior Brandon Burckel, who began the year as the starting second baseman. 

Related Bullpen falters as Indiana baseball splits series versus Butler

Indiana baseball continued its middling performance this weekend, splitting a four-game series versus Butler University.

The Almont, Michigan, native starred at Orchard Lake St. Mary’s Prep before arriving in Bloomington. Oliver was named a 2023 Collegiate Baseball First Team High School All-American and ranked as the No. 3 prospect in the state. 

Across three high school seasons, Oliver batted .368, slapped 116 hits and logged 128 RBIs while guiding his team to two state titles in 2021 and 2022. 

Now 15-14 on the season, Indiana turns to a midweek matchup against Indiana State University (21-5) at 6 p.m., Tuesday, inside Bart Kaufman Field before taking on Maryland (20-8) in a three-game set over the weekend in College Park. All the games will be streamed on BTN+. 

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Nick Rodecap (@nickrodecap) for updates throughout the Indiana baseball season.