What to expect for IU spring sports this season

spspringsports020824-jpg

As winter fades away, Indiana begins its 2024 spring season for 13 varsity sports. From basketball to rowing, there’s a lot to keep up with. Several sports continue their season after playing throughout winter while many are beginning their season this month. 

Baseball 

Indiana baseball achieved a record of 43-20 last season under head coach Jeff Mercer. Sophomore outfielder Devin Taylor will return to the diamond after Perfect Game named him a Second Team Preseason All-American on Jan. 4. Taylor was Big Ten Freshman of the Year and hit 16 home runs last season. 

Men’s Basketball 

Head coach Mike Woodson led the program to finish last season with a record of 23-12. This season, the men’s team has taken multiple difficult losses so far, including falling to Purdue 79-59 on Feb. 10 at Mackey Arena. 

Women’s Basketball 

Women’s basketball, led by head coach Teri Moren, finished with a record of 28-4 last season and returned all but one starter, Grace Berger, this season. Graduate student forward Mackenzie Holmes broke the women’s all-time scoring record early in the season against Purdue on Feb. 11 while the Hoosiers are once again one of the best teams in the Big Ten.  

Men’s Golf 

Men’s golf finished fourth at the Battle of Briar’s Creek on Feb. 5-6. Sixth-year senior Noah Gillard finished fourth overall with a score of 142, marking his second top-five finish of the season. The team’s next home event, the Hoosier Collegiate, will take place April 6-7 at The Pfau Course. 

Women’s Golf 

The women’s team team doesn’t play in Bloomington for the remainder of the season, but will compete in the Big Ten Women’s Golf Championship April 19-21 in Havre De Grace, Maryland. 

Rowing 

Women’s rowing has been active since October but doesn’t compete again until the Cardinal Invitational in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, March 14-17. The team will take a trip to Clemson, South Carolina for spring break training March 10-14. 

Softball 

Coached by Shonda Stanton, softball doesn’t play at home until March 1-3 in the Hoosier Classic, hosting Bowling Green State University, Valparaiso University and Western Kentucky University. The team finished last season with a record of 44-18. 

Men and Women’s Swimming and Diving 

Both men’s and women’s swimming boast a supremely successful season so far. Last season, the men’s team finished fourth in the nation and the women’s finished seventh, tying its program record finish. 

Men’s Tennis 

Men’s tennis is led by head coach Jeremy Wurtzman and associate head coach Mike Murray this season. Last season, they finished their season with a losing record of 13-15. 

Women’s Tennis 

The nine-player team is coached by Ramiro Azcui. After a 14-11 finish last season, the team has faced difficulty so far this year and lost five games in a row January to February. It will play rival team Purdue on April 19 in Bloomington. 

Track and Field 

The men’s team finished fourth in the Men’s Big Ten Indoor Championships last season and the women’s team finished ninth. Notable returning athletes include graduate student jump athlete Paola Fernandez-Sola, who is a three-time All-American. The team does not have any home events for the indoor season.  

Wrestling 

Wrestling is coached by Angel Escobedo and ended its last season 8-5. The team has positive momentum swinging into the season as it beat Purdue 22-9 on Jan. 27 at Wilkinson Hall. Wrestling also beat Michigan State after coming back from an 18-0 deficit on Feb. 4.