sports rowing

Indiana rowing struggles in tough test at Big Ten-Ivy League Dual

spiurowing032624.jpg

After last week’s success in the Oak Ridge Invitational, Indiana rowing moved up three spots in the Pocock CRCA Poll to No. 13. 

Competition was stiff March 23 as the Hoosiers traveled to Camden, New Jersey, for the Big Ten-Ivy League Dual hosted by No. 5-ranked Yale University.  

Besides the Bulldogs, IU competed against the No. 8-ranked University of Pennsylvania, No. 12 Syracuse University and No. 19 Harvard University on the Cooper River. Due to some windy river conditions, however, the race was condensed, and only IU’s Varsity Eight, Second Varsity Eight, Varsity Four and Second Varsity Four were able to get on the water. 

The V8 squad, led by coxswain Katherine Nelson and stroke Sophie Bowden, finished with a time of 7:01.7, placing third in the morning regatta. They ended the day with a time of 7:12.8 in the afternoon, falling short of Yale. 

The 2V8 crew faced stiff competition as well, finishing with a 7:08.3 time in the morning. Led by coxswain Lilly Gintert, stroke Sofia Sperduto and bow Avery Thorpe, the Hoosiers rebounded in the afternoon, placing second behind Yale with a time of 7:31.0. 

The highlight of the event came from the V4 crew, which placed second in both races, posting solid performances of 7:50.1 and 8:12.6. The strong leadership of graduate student Aidan McIntyre (stroke) and senior Paige Ohrvall (coxswain) guided the crew.  

Stroke Madeline Anderson and coxswain Lydia Casiano closed out both sessions of the regatta for IU, recording times of 8:47.1 in the morning and 9:23.1 in the afternoon. 

The Hoosiers will get a quick break in the schedule before traveling to Columbus, Ohio, on April 6 for another tough challenge, this time against No. 11- ranked Ohio State at the Griggs Reservoir on the Scioto River.