Indiana men’s basketball freshman Jakai Newton to remain with program

Iu vs Nebe -Big10--8.jpg

Indiana men’s basketball freshman guard Jakai Newton, who redshirted this season due to a lingering knee injury, is remaining with the program, according to a report from Peegs Jeff Rabjohns on Friday.

Newton was a highly touted 4-star recruit from Covington, Georgia, and ranked as the eighth-best player in the state and the 15th best combo guard in the nation. Despite not playing in a game this year, Newton is regarded as an explosive scorer who could bolster Indiana’s backcourt. 

Injuries have hampered Newton since high school. In 2022, Newton suffered a torn meniscus, and in August 2023, Newton went through surgery for a pre-existing knee injury. 

That injury lingered throughout his freshman campaign, and Newton didn’t don a full uniform and go through pregame warmups until March.

Newton committed to Indiana in October 2021 and signed his letter of intent in November the following year. Newton fielded offers from schools like Auburn University, Vanderbilt University and Clemson University among others. 

It is currently unknown where Newton is in his recovery process, and his timetable to return to game action is unclear. But with his reported return, he’ll join sophomore forward Malik Reneau and senior guards Trey Galloway and Anthony Leal as Hoosiers to officially remain with the program for the 2024-25 season. 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Press (@MattPress23) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball offseason.