Trey Galloway, Anthony Leal announce return for fifth year to Indiana men’s basketball

IUvsMich03102024-half-17 (1).jpg

Indiana men’s basketball beat Michigan State 65-64 on Sunday, but perhaps the loudest applause came after when senior guards Anthony Leal and Trey Galloway announced they’ll be returning for a fifth season rather than moving on after graduation. 

Leal’s message came first and followed a declaration of how emotionally challenging the days leading up to his decision had been, and he quickly turned Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall into a frenzy. 

“What’s really keeping me going is I’ll be giving this speech next year,” Leal said. 

If Leal didn’t create the most excitement, the title belonged to Trey Galloway, his fellow backcourt running mate and Culver, Indiana, native. 

Galloway, who followed Leal’s speech, spent several minutes thanking the coaching staff and fans before announcing his intents for next season. 

“These last four years have been the best four years of my life,” Galloway said. “But I don’t quite think it’s time to leave.” 

During the 2023-24 season, Leal averaged 2.4 points, 2.1 rebounds and 1.1 assists per game. Galloway, who started every game, averaged 10.8 points, 2.9 rebounds and 4.8 assists per game. 

Leal and Galloway have one year of eligibility remaining due to COVID-19, as the NCAA gifted all active athletes the chance at a fifth year. 

Leal, after making his announcement, had a message to the fans, saying there’s a reason Mike Woodson is the Hoosiers’ head coach and they aren’t. 

“We’re going to run it back, but you guys have to chill,” Leal said. 

As for Galloway, his three-word message created merely another audible explosion in Assembly Hall. 

“Let’s do it,” Galloway said. 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Press (@MattPress23) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season.