sports baseball

Indiana baseball’s matchup against Northern Kentucky pushed back due to inclement weather

spiubasebrief030424.jpg

Indiana baseball’s matchup with Northern Kentucky University, which was initially set to take place at 4 p.m. Tuesday at Bart Kaufman Field, was pushed back one day due to forecasts of thunderstorms, according to an IU Athletics release.

The game will now be held at 4 p.m. Wednesday and will be available to watch on Big Ten Plus. After a 1-2 weekend in Frisco, Texas at the Frisco Classic, the Hoosiers enter Wednesday’s bout 7-4 with a 1-1 record at home.

Indiana was run-ruled twice in blowout losses to No. 16 University of Alabama and the University of Arizona over the weekend, and its lone victory came in a 9-7 comeback win over No. 25 Dallas Baptist University.

The Hoosiers’ pitching staff struggled mightily in the pair of losses. Against Alabama, sophomore and senior hurlers Brayden Risedorph and Seti Manase surrendered a combined 10 earned runs. Then, against Arizona, redshirt sophomore lefty Grant Holderfield and junior righty Julian Tonghini allowed 10 runs across 1 2/3 innings.

Against the Patriots, Indiana’s bats exhibited an impressive showing in an otherwise disappointing weekend. Despite trailing 6-1 heading into the sixth inning, the Hoosiers plated eight runs in the ensuing three frames, including a four-run seventh, to rally for the victory.

Junior catcher Brock Tibbitts led the way with four RBIs and three hits, and four other Hoosiers notched multi-hit outings, as well.

Northern Kentucky sits at 4-7 in the young season and is coming off a road series win over the University of Missouri. After Wednesday’s standalone tilt, the Hoosiers will stay at home and host Troy University for a three-game weekend set.

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Nick Rodecap (@nickrodecap) for updates throughout the Indiana baseball season.