arts music

Postmodern Jazz Quartet performed at Morgenstern's Jazz Salon

entjazzsalon030324-02.jpg

Postmodern Jazz Quartet performed a lively jazz set on March 2, at Morgenstern’s Bookstore & Café Jazz Salon event. The performance featured music from Keith Jarrett’s album “Standards” which was a trio performed with Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette.  

The smell of coffee loomed in the air as the smooth sounds of jazz music enriched the atmosphere. The Jazz Salon is an event that happens every month to appreciate jazz music. The event was a rescheduled event after a cancellation on the original date due to weather conditions Feb. 16.  

Postmodern Jazz Quartet was formed in 2004 in Bloomington and plays a wide range of jazz styles with hints of blues and funk music. The quartet involves four musicians: pianist Jeff Isaac, trombonist Jonathan Elmer, bassist David Bruker and drummer Dan Deckard. Isaac and Elmer founded the group as professors here at IU. Isaac teaches political science and Elmer teaches English.  

Isaac has been playing with this band for the past 20 years and said the group has gone through changes, such as members coming and going. Isaac said his journey in jazz began in high school when his former high school teacher inspired him to join the jazz ensemble. Issac said he loves being able to perform and having a relaxing outlet outside of teaching.  

“I love the freedom and the creativity involved in improvising,” Isaac said. “I also love the interplay of the musicians. That’s what I love about playing with this group and what I love about jazz. It's all in a groove.” 

Issac said he left a different blues band in 2004 and was motivated to create a jazz ensemble as a professor. After being invited to play at a gig by a colleague, Isaac said he decided to form a jazz ensemble. 

“I put together the band to play a reception for the College of Arts and Sciences,” Isaac said. “That was the first gig we played and ever since then, we’ve been playing.” 

The quartet has performed at venues all around Bloomington. They have performed at The Blockhouse, The Switchyard and Morgenstern’s. They try to perform once a month on every third Friday at Morgenstern’s Bookstore& Café.  

“We love playing here,” Isaac said. “It’s actually incredible. We’ve built up a real following here.” 

Isaac said his playing from the night was inspiringly affected by being able to play with Elmer who originally was not going to perform due to travel plans.  

“This was originally supposed to be a trio gig and I basically convinced Jonathan, the trombone player, to play with us and I’m glad he did,” Issac said. 

The rich acoustic sounds from the quartet had guests bobbing their heads to the melodies. Some were tapping their feet to the beat of the drummer’s solo and swaying to the bass’ flow.  

Cook Medical coworkers Brandon Phan and Akanksha Singh visited Morgenstern’s for their first time that night. They both recently moved to town and said they have been trying to explore the Bloomington community and happened to stumble upon the performance.  

Singh said she loved the vibes of the bookstore and thought it was cute. She listens to jazz every now and then and had no expectations for the night, but the ambience and vibes were altogether great for her.  

“I did not know what I was getting myself into, but they have a fan now,” Singh said. 

Phan said he is a recreational listener of jazz and used to go to jazz clubs when he lived in San Diego, California. He said he was looking for those kinds of places to visit in Bloomington. 

“I was like looking for culture in town so it’s cool to have that here,” Phan said. “I’m probably going to make this my spot.” 

Phan said the highlight of his visit at Morgenstern’s was reading “How to Be More Shrek: An Ogre's Guide to Life” in one sitting and staying to experience the Jazz Salon event.  

“It’s cool to have a real postmodern band that seems very experienced and are happy to play together,” Phan said. “All that together, with the Shrek was really a big day for me.”  

To know more about Morgenstern’s and their future events, visit its website.