OPINION: Give up: The art of learning how to move on

opgiveup-illo

The phrase “giving up” doesn't have many positive connotations. In a world inundated with “live laugh love” kitchen decor and a litany of other positive expressions, giving up is often poised as a bad thing. In this way, “giving up” becomes synonymous with words like failure, defeat, and surrender.  

In Taylor Swift’s song It’s time to go” she says, “Sometimes giving up is the strong thing / Sometimes to run is the brave thing / Sometimes walking out is the one thing that will find you the right thing” and I couldn't agree with Taylor more.  

In this life, not everything is meant to be permanent. People and things come and go, and that's okay! After all, life is transient, filled with fleeting moments and changing circumstances. The true value of these moments lies not in their permanence, but in the meaningful experiences we garner along the way. The most important thing is to know when to let go and move on.  

There can be many reasons to let go. Sometimes, you get into something, and before you realize it, you're in over your head. Sometimes, it starts off great, but in the end, it's not what you thought it would be. Knowing when to let go of things that no longer serve us can be difficult, but it is also the most liberating and necessary part of life.  

This is a lesson all of us, including me, must learn many times over. 

As an elementary education major, the most frequent question people ask me is “Why?” It's a fair question, since teaching isn't exactly the most desired of professions. For me the answer is simple: I couldn't see myself doing anything else. I have always loved working with kids; I believe teaching is an opportunity to make a real difference in their lives. It's a job that will allow me to be creative and use my talents to make the world a better place.  

But I didn’t always feel that way. When I started college, I was neck-deep in sorority life and a business major at a school that wasn't IU. As I write this, I realize just how much my life has changed in less than a year.  

First, the sorority thing. Joining a sorority wasn't a negative experience, it just wasn't what I expected, and it turned out to be something I didn't need. Even after making the executive board and being as involved as possible, I realized that lifestyle wasn't for me. I was putting in way more than I was getting out of it, and eventually I had the strength to leave. When I left, I felt that I was letting everyone down, but in giving up something that had consumed so much of my life, I felt freer than ever.  

The process of transferring schools and changing my major had a pretty similar line of thought – over-involving myself, burnout and finding the courage to change things for the better. There were other significantly more compelling reasons to change schools, but the most personal was that I wanted to take control over my life and my happiness. I had to make a difficult decision, but it was the right one for me.  

In a world often dominated by the relentless pursuit of success and the fear of giving up, it is time to redefine the narrative around letting go. The societal stigma attached to the phrase "giving up" overlooks the strength and bravery inherent in recognizing when to release what no longer serves us. As we begin a new year, examine your own life and the baggage you might be carrying. You might find that you have a few things of your own that it’s time to give up.  

Ainsley Foster (she/her) is a sophomore studying elementary education.