Indiana basketball’s Mackenzie Mgbako wins second Big Ten Freshman of the Week honor

IUvsNeb022124-final-8.jpg

Indiana basketball freshman forward Mackenzie Mgbako earned his second Big Ten Freshman of the Week honor, the conference announced Monday afternoon. 

In a pair of games against Nebraska on Feb. 21 and Penn State on Feb. 24, Mgbako averaged 14.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, two assists and a steal. Against the Cornhuskers, Mgbako poured in a career-high 22 points on 7-of-17 shooting from the field and corralled seven boards.

After a slow start to his debut campaign, the 5-star freshman has significantly improved his play as of late. Mgbako is now third on the team in scoring with 11.5 points per game, third in rebounding with 4.1 per game and paces the team in free throw percentage at 80.4%.

In 12 games since Jan. 9, Mgbako has scored in double figures 10 times and scored at least 15 points on five occasions. Sparked by improved effort and enhanced knowledge of Indiana’s defensive scheme, Mgbako has become an indispensable member of the Hoosiers’ starting rotation. 

With his second Big Ten weekly award, Mgbako joins Cody Zeller, Noah Vonleh, Trayce Jackson-Davis, Jalen Hood-Schifino, Romeo Langford, Yogi Ferrell, James Blackmon Jr. and Thomas Bryant as Indiana freshmen to win the award multiple times. 

Mgbako and the Hoosiers next take the floor against Wisconsin at 7 p.m. Tuesday night inside Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. The game will be streamed on Peacock. 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Press (@MattPress23) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season.