Indiana men’s basketball’s road struggles persist in 83-74 loss to Penn State

viiubbphotos020324.jpg

Indiana men’s basketball entered Saturday’s contest against Penn State on a three-game losing streak and desperately searching for a complete performance. The Hoosiers were unable to find what they were looking for in an 83-74 loss. The four-game losing streak is Indiana’s longest since a five-game slide in February 2022. 

Indiana’s frontcourt toted the scoring load early. Sophomore center Kel’el Ware and sophomore forward Malik Reneau combined for 21 of the Hoosiers’ 33 first-half points, and the duo helped Indiana dominate the battle inside. 

Foul trouble plagued the Hoosiers and required head coach Mike Woodson to resort to his bench. Freshman forward Mackenzie Mgbako played just five minutes in the first frame after acquiring two fouls, and Ware committed his fourth foul less than three minutes into the second half. 

Indiana’s 3-point shooting, perhaps its biggest flaw throughout the season, continued to hurt the Hoosiers on Saturday. Indiana shot 2-for-15 from deep while Penn State went 9-for-21. Mgbako made the Hoosiers’ first 3-pointer with 1:35 remaining in the game. 

Indiana’s difficulties at the free throw line were within the same realm of shooting struggles. The Hoosiers started the game 8-for-10 at the charity stripe but struggled the remainder of the game, finishing 14-for-25. The Nittany Lions went 26-for-30 from the foul line. 

Penn State senior guard Ace Baldwin Jr. had his way against Indiana for the second time this season. After scoring 22 points and adding eight assists in Penn State’s 85-71 win over Indiana on Feb. 3, Baldwin produced 23 points and nine assists Saturday. 

Reneau carried his first-half momentum over to finish with a productive 27 points and six rebounds. Reneau, who tops the Hoosiers this season with 15.7 points per game, led all scorers Saturday. 

Next on the horizon, Indiana returns to Bloomington to face Wisconsin for the second time this season. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m, Tuesday, Feb. 27, in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. The game can be streamed on Peacock. 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Press (@MattPress23) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season.