campus bloomington

Bloomington named a top viewing location for 2024 solar eclipse

caeclipse013124.jpg

Bloomington was named a top place to view the rare total solar eclipse taking place April 8 in an Explore article. 

The article lists Bloomington as an ideal viewing location due to the city’s unique college-town atmosphere and various events planned by the city and the university taking place during the weekend leading up to the four-minute-long eclipse viewing. 

Bloomington will be under the path of totality, meaning the sun will be completely eclipsed by the moon. Because the city will be a rare spot to view the eclipse, Bloomington and IU officials expect a large influx of tourists — potentially increasing the day time population by over 300,000 on April 8, according to News at IU. To guarantee safety and ensure everyone has the opportunity to view this rare event, in-person classes are canceled for all IU campuses. 

President Pamela Whitten highlighted some local events happening in and around campus in her Jan. 22 “Written by Whitten” blog. At Memorial Stadium, there will be several guest appearances, including one by the first Black female astronaut, Mae Jemison. Actor William Shatner from the Star Trek franchise will be in attendance as well at the viewing. 

The university will also be hosting the free Science Fest for all ages. Outside of campus, there will be a three-day Shadowfest Camping and Musical Festival held at the Monroe County Fairgrounds.  

More information on IU events and plans for the eclipse can be found at this link