campus student life

IU to cancel classes Apr. 8 to allow viewing of total solar eclipse

caeclipse010924.jpg

All IU in-person classes will be cancelled Apr. 8. as five IU campuses will fall inside a total solar eclipse’s path of totality. The moon will align between the sun and Earth, blocking the sun’s light and covering 13 states in darkness for several minutes. 

IU-Bloomington will be closest to the eclipse’s path of totality, becoming dark at approximately 3:05 p.m. and remaining dark for over four minutes.  

The eclipse will begin at approximately 3:06 p.m. at IU-Purdue University Indianapolis and IU-Purdue University Columbus and last less than four minutes. At approximately 3:08 p.m., IU-East Richmond will experience the eclipse for less than four minutes.  

IU-Kokomo will fall farther from the path of totality but will see the eclipse for less than one minute beginning at approximately 3:08 p.m. 

Visit Indiana predicts over a million tourists will visit Indiana during the eclipse, with Bloomington alone projected to welcome over 300,000 tourists. 

All IU campuses will host events both leading up to and during the eclipse.  

IU-Bloomington will host a free science festival from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Apr. 6 at Owen Hall about the impact of solar eclipses and how to stay safe. A viewing party will be held from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Apr. 8 at La Casa Latino Cultural Center in Bloomington. The first 100 guests will receive viewing glasses. 

A full list of events can be found on IU’s website. 

IU Public Safety started planning for the eclipse in 2022, according to an IU press release. IU Police Department has also communicated with the Office of the Provost, the City of Bloomington and the Indiana Department of Homeland Security. 

Increased needs for Wi-Fi, cellular service, water, sewer capacity and electricity are expected. Traffic will also increase in and out of Bloomington. 

IU’s Center for Rural Engagement will lead community activities in rural communities across the state and provide resources, including a tool kit and $1,000 scholarship for IU students. 

The tool kit allows communities to learn about and prepare for the eclipse. It covers logistics and offers ideas for community organizers.  

The scholarship is aimed at junior and senior undergraduate students. Those selected will attend an orientation in February and meet with community partners from February to May. 

Indiana will not fall inside a solar eclipse’s path of totality again until 2099.