sports water polo

Indiana water polo releases 2024 schedule

spiuwaterpolo012624.jpg

No. 16 ranked Indiana water polo released its schedule for the 2024 season Jan. 10, per the official team Instagram. The Hoosiers will play six of their 24 scheduled matches this season in the Counsilman Billingsley Aquatic Center in Bloomington. 

The Hoosiers kick off their season at the Michigan Invitational in Ann Arbor, MI, on Saturday, Jan. 27 - 28. Indiana’s first match is against Marist College at 10 a.m. on Saturday, followed by a 1 p.m. match against Salem University. 

On Sunday, the Hoosiers have an 11 a.m. match against Saint Francis University and a 2 p.m. match against No. 22 Long Island University Brooklyn. 

On Feb. 3, Indiana will play in the Bruno Classic at Harvard University in Cambridge, MA, with a 10:30 a.m. match against No. 17 Harvard and a 4:30 p.m. match against Marist. 

Indiana will continue the Bruno Classic at Brown University in Providence, RI, on Feb. 4 with an 8 a.m. match against No. 24 Pomona-Pitzer Colleges and an 11 a.m. match against Brown. 

The first home meet at the CBAC will be Feb. 17 - 18 when the Hoosiers will host the Indiana Classic. There will be a 10:30 a.m. match Feb. 17 against California Baptist University followed by a 6:30 p.m. match against Iona University. The match against Iona will be Indiana’s senior day. 

The next day Indiana will have a 10:30 a.m. match against Saint Francis and a 3:30 p.m. match against Salem. 

The Hoosiers are scheduled to play at the Kalbus Invite in Irvine, CA, from Feb. 23 – 25, but no opponents have been announced yet. They will be back home March 2 with a match at noon against No. 2 University of California, Los Angeles. UCLA travels to the CBAC for the first time since April 13 - 14, 2021. 

Indiana will head back on the road for the Aztec Invite in San Diego, CA, the final invite of the season, March 9 - 10. It starts off on the weekend with a 1:20 p.m. match against No. 23 San Diego State University, followed by a match at 7:10 p.m. against California State University, Fullerton. The next day, Indiana has a 12:45 p.m. match against No. 9 Princeton University and a 4:30 p.m. match against La Salle University. 

The Hoosiers have a match at the University of California, Davis on March 14 against No. 14 UC Davis. Then, Indiana heads to No. 3 University of California, Berkeley for a match at 1 p.m. on March 16. 

Indiana’s final home match of the season is against No. 1-ranked University of Southern California at noon on March 30. It will be the first time the 2023 NCAA women’s water polo runner ups travel to Bloomington since April 2-3, 2021. 

The Hoosiers once again head on the road to No. 13 Arizona State University for a match on April 6 in Tempe, Arizona. At 4 p.m., April 13, Indiana has a match against No. 18 San Jose State University. 

The next day, Indiana has a 2 p.m. match against the 2023 NCAA women’s water polo champions, No. 7 Stanford University, in Palo Alto, CA. 

The final match of the regular season will be at noon on April 20 against No. 11 Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI. The Mountain Pacific Sports Foundation tournament will be held in Bloomington from April 26 - 28. 

The Hoosiers announced they extended head coach Taylor McInerney after the 2023 season. The team finished 17-14 with a 2-4 MPSF record. The 17 wins are the most the program has had since 2018. 

McInerney’s teams have been consistently ranked in the Collegiate Water Polo Assocation Top 25 poll during her tenure while securing wins in the MPSF Tournament over the last two seasons. 

"I am honored and humbled by the support of our athletic department, and for the opportunity to continue leading our growing program," McInerney said in a press release on July 19, 2023. "This is not an opportunity I take lightly and want to thank Scott Dolson for his support." 

Indiana also announced the promotion of assistant coach Candyce Schroeder to associate head coach in the press release. Indiana announced the signing of five student athletes during the early signing period on Nov. 8, 2023. Joining the Hoosiers this season are center Keira Blitzer, defender Wendy Heffelfinger, utility player Olivia Muir, attacker Mady Nollan and attacker Morgan Schink. 

You can watch all home matches in the CBAC or on BTN+.