Indiana men’s basketball returns home, hopes to end 3-game slide vs. Iowa

spiubbphotos012824_3.jpg

Following a missed opportunity at No. 10 Illinois on Jan. 27, Indiana men’s basketball is in dire need of a win. Amidst a season-long three-game losing streak, the Hoosiers hope to turn things around Tuesday night back home in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall against Iowa.  

The Hoosiers had their chances to pick up a crucial win against the Fighting Illini on the road but ultimately couldn’t pull through. Following back-to-back road games, Indiana returns home where it wields a 9-2 record. A win could help the Hoosiers find their mojo, but a loss could prematurely seal its fate with a crushing blow to their resume.

Record-wise, Iowa and Indiana match up evenly. Both teams stand at 12-8 on the season and feature 4-5 records in Big Ten play.  

The Hawkeyes possess one of the most potent offenses in not just the league but the nation. Iowa’s 85.3 points per game lead the Big Ten and ranks top-10 in Division I. Additionally, basketball analytics site KenPom lists Iowa 21st in adjusted offensive efficiency and 11th in adjusted tempo. 

Head coach Fran McCaffery’s high-flying Hawkeyes have displayed their offensive capabilities in the recent past against the Hoosiers. Indiana has lost four consecutive games to Iowa — two of which were at home — and last season allowed 90-plus points in both contests. 

A contributing factor to Iowa’s efficiency is its team-oriented style. The Hawkeyes don’t have a clear-cut leading option but have four players who average double-digit points per game — led by graduate student forward Ben Krikke with 15.7.  

Iowa’s strongest component of its offense is its heavy emphasis on sharing the rock and taking care of it. The Hawkeyes’ assist to turnover ratio of 1.87 per game leads Division I and its 19 assists per game rank top-5 nationally, both marks leading the Big Ten. 

However, Iowa’s flaws come on the defensive side of the ball. It allows 77.4 points per game — which ranks 13th in the Big Ten and 306th in D1 — and its adjusted defensive efficiency ranks 113th nationally. 

Because of their desire to push the tempo, the Hawkeyes receive the consequences when opponents take advantage and outperform them. Ranking 96th in adjusted tempo, however, Indiana’s best bet may depend on a strong defensive performance to shut down Iowa. 

Indiana sophomore center Kel’el Ware’s availability remains the biggest unanswered question prior to the matchup. Having missed back-to-back games due to an ankle injury, head coach Mike Woodson said Indiana was hoping Ware is ready to play the Hawkeyes following the loss at Illinois.

The 7-footer's presence could affect the game in multiple ways. Firstly, his height would help Indiana match Iowa’s 6-foot-10 freshman forward Owen Freeman — a six-time Big Ten Freshman of the week — alongside 6-foot-9 Krikke and 6-foot-9 sixth man and fifth-year senior forward Patrick McCaffery. 

In addition to his size, regaining Ware in the lineup could help the Hoosiers slow down the tempo if they choose to do so. With Ware and sophomore forward Malik Reneau sharing the floor, Indiana could be more inclined to play a slowed down, half-court style offense as opposed to a fast-paced transition offense the Hawkeyes would prefer. 

Indiana’s 3-point shooting is one of the most important areas to monitor. Following a 0-for-9 performance from deep at Illinois, the Hoosiers proved in the loss that production beyond the arc is necessary to win a tight matchup. 

More shooting struggles persisted at the free throw line where the Hoosiers shot 12-of-22 against the Illini. Ranking 13th in the Big Ten in free throw percentage with a 65.9% mark, Indiana has left several points at the line in crucial moments, including sixth-year senior guard Xavier Johnson’s two missed free throws, ending a chance to tie Illinois with under a minute remaining. 

Indiana and Iowa are set to tip off at 7 p.m. Tuesday. The game will be televised on the Big Ten Network. 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Press (@MattPress23) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season.