Indiana men’s basketball’s losing streak hits three games after 70-62 loss to No. 10 Illinois

spiubbinstant012724.jpeg

CHAMPAIGN, IL. — After an eight-day break, Indiana men’s basketball hit the road again for its third straight matchup against a top-11 opponent, this time against No. 10 Illinois. Looking to avoid a season-long three-game losing streak Saturday, the Hoosiers looked prime to stop the streak before faltering late in a 70-62 loss. 

Indiana sophomore center Kel’el Ware missed his second straight game due to an ankle injury suffered in a practice before Indiana’s Jan. 19 game in Wisconsin. After opting for junior forward Payton Sparks in his place in the 91-79 loss to the Badgers, head coach Mike Woodson turned to fifth-year senior forward Anthony Walker to take Ware’s place Saturday. 

Sophomore forward Malik Reneau led the game in scoring for the second consecutive time with a 21-point effort on 8-for-12 shooting. He fouled out with 3:02 remaining in the game when Indiana trailed 58-56. 

The 3-point line was the difference maker in the contest. Indiana shot 0-for-9 from behind the line while the Fighting Illini made seven triples on 23 attempts. Additionally, both teams struggled at the free throw line. Indiana shot 12-for-22 at the line compared to Illinois’ mark of 17-for-26. 

Indiana led most of the contest, leading for 21:41 compared to Illinois’ 15:39 time with an advantage in a game featuring six ties and five lead changes. Illinois closed the game with an 8-0 run. 

Graduate student guard Marcus Domask led the Illini with 16 points and ten rebounds, but it was fifth-year senior guard Terrance Shannon Jr. who played the role as closer. Shannon scored six of his 12 points in the final minute at the free throw line to ice the game. 

The loss drops Indiana to 12-8 on the season and 4-5 in conference play. The Hoosiers return to Assembly Hall Tuesday to face Iowa. The game is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. on the Big Ten Network. 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Press (@MattPress23) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season.