Indiana basketball’s ‘freak of nature’ Kel’el Ware ready to prove critics wrong

spiubbwareguide110223.jpg

Some players might say they just don’t hear the noise. Make no mistake, Kel’el Ware heard it — loud and clear. 

Indiana men’s basketball’s sophomore center, who transferred from the University of Oregon this offseason, was fully aware of the criticism surrounding his work ethic and motor. 

He heard the remarks about a perceived laziness. In late January of last season, Oregon head coach Dana Altman cited disappointment in Ware’s effort during practice and games. Ware’s playing time with the Ducks dipped dramatically in the latter half of the season, and his lackluster on-court production was a byproduct of it. 

Ware averaged just 6.6 points and 4.1 rebounds in 35 games but did notch over a block per contest. 

In high school, Ware was widely projected to be a one-and-done college player with lottery pick potential. A highly heralded 5-star recruit coming out of North Little Rock, Arkansas, Ware’s college career has perhaps been more circuitous than he would’ve hoped. 

But ahead of his sophomore season in Bloomington, he has one goal in mind. 

“To prove everybody wrong,” Ware told DraftExpress on May 28. 

*** 

Talent isn’t necessarily the question with this revamped Hoosier team. With the departures of Trayce Jackson-Davis and Jalen Hood-Schifino, who were drafted by the Golden State Warriors and Los Angeles Lakers, respectively, head coach Mike Woodson had to recoup a sizeable amount of Indiana’s offensive production. 

Standing at 7-feet tall, Ware’s athleticism and shot-making ability make up a tantalizing mixture of size and skill. With six newcomers, two of which expect to be inserted into the starting lineup, chemistry becomes the focal point. 

Like the rest of the team, and specifically the new faces, Ware talks glowingly of the culture head coach Mike Woodson has fostered since taking over in 2021. That familial aspect is something Ware said drew him to the program. 

“You can tell everybody loves each other,” Ware said at Indiana’s basketball media day Sept. 20. “It’s no hate towards anybody.” 

Since his arrival in Bloomington, Ware’s new teammates have seen his true self. Senior forward Anthony Walker, who transferred from the University of Miami, said whenever they’re not practicing or lifting, he and Ware are playing competitive games of NBA 2K. 

His deep voice and soft demeanor wouldn’t indicate it, but Walker describes Ware as one of the goofiest people he knows.  

“The funniest, biggest dude,” Walker said, grinning. “He’s extremely chill. We play a lot of video games together — down to earth, humble, just the most genuine guy.” 

Ware is one of the more unique players Indiana has seen come through the program. He’s a lab-made fit for the modern NBA — a long, shot-blocking big who can stretch the floor and shoot beyond the arc. 

He didn’t do it much at Oregon, but Ware said he’s comfortable leading the break in transition. The Hoosiers’ offense favored post play with Jackson-Davis, who ultimately soared to third in program history in points with 2,258. 

Ware possesses a similar lob threat as Jackson-Davis while also adding the dimension of 3-point shooting, something Woodson said the team wants to do more of this season. It’s rare to see a 7-footer in college doing what Ware can do. 

Walker thinks Ware’s skillset poses an opportunity to devastate opposing defenses. 

“Just being able to shoot the ball as well as he does, move as well as he does, handle the rock as well he does,” Walker said. “It’s a huge problem to deal with when you’re on defense.” 

He sees it in practice. Coming from Miami, Walker faced some of the nation’s most dominant big men such as University of North Carolina’s Armando Bacot. Still, he knows Ware is different. While Bacot operates primarily with his back to the basket, Ware plays all over the floor. 

Tattooed on Ware’s right shoulder, in red and black script, are the words “Humble Beast.” That’s precisely how Walker views him, with an emphasis on the beast. 

“Kel’el is a freak of nature,” Walker said. “I don’t think any of us have seen a 7-footer move as well as he moves.” 

*** 

When Woodson was recruiting Ware, the No. 2 overall player in the transfer portal, this offseason, he didn’t view the surrounding questions as a complete indictment of Ware’s character. Instead, he saw an opportunity. 

What transpired at Oregon and caused Ware to transfer is in the past. Now, Woodson’s focus is on what he can do to help Indiana win. 

“When I recruited that young man I told him, ‘You cannot go back and get what happened the year before,” Woodson said. “The word is out; they knocked you and said, ‘hey, you’re lazy, you don’t work hard,’ and if you make a commitment to me, that’s got to change.” 

Throughout the summer and into the fall, Ware’s teammates noted his effort in practice. Walker said he embraced the grind, especially in the gym where Ware said he needed extra work. 

Ware said much of his decision to join the Hoosiers stemmed from Woodson’s coaching acumen. In just the last year, he sent two players to the NBA. 

It won’t come down to a lack of talent — Ware has every physical tool he needs to be successful. Before college, he was one of the top players in the nation, a McDonald’s All-American and a member of the USA Basketball Nike Hoop Summit team in April of 2022. 

Now, it comes down to himself. With so much external noise, Ware has the opportunity to silence it once and for all. 

Ware is still the same player that garnered all the hype coming out of high school. Putting the past behind him, Woodson said, is how he can forge the path he wants. 

“I can’t think or worry about what happened in Oregon,” Woodson said. “That’s gone. He’s got to move forward and build a new life here with the Indiana basketball team.” 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Press (@MattPress23) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season.