Kel’el Ware, former five-star recruit, transfers to Indiana men’s basketball

spiubbkelware041023.jpg

Oregon center Kel’el Ware announced his commitment to Indiana men’s basketball out of the transfer portal Monday, becoming the Hoosiers’ second pick-up of the offseason. 

Ware, who will be a sophomore with three years of eligibility remaining when he comes to Indiana, averaged 6.6 points and 4.1 rebounds in his freshman year. Ware took an official visit to Indiana starting Thursday and canceled his visit to the University of Alabama, scheduled for after his Indiana visit. 

In high school, Ware, a 7-foot, 210-pound center from North Little Rock, Arkansas, was a five-star recruit and the No. 7-ranked player nationally. 

[RELATED: Hood-Schifino declares for NBA Draft after freshman year with Indiana men’s basketball

Ware scored a career-high 18 points against the NCAA Tournament champions the University of Connecticut, which earned him starts in the next four games. His first career start came against Michigan State, where he scored 17 points in 33 minutes of action and tied his career high with nine rebounds.  

Ware became Indiana’s second center added to the roster this offseason, joining Payton Sparks from Ball State. With the addition of Ware, the Hoosiers have three scholarship positions available.