arts iu cinema

‘In the Mood for Love’ to screen at IU Cinema Nov. 10

entmoodlove110823.jpg

IU Cinema will screen renowned Hong Kong filmmaker Wong Kar-wai’s film “In the Mood for Love” at 7 p.m. Nov. 10. Entry is free but ticketed. 

The film is part of IU Cinema’s ongoing Michael A. McRobbie’s Choice series, in which the University Chancellor selects three films to screen each semester. Wong’s unofficial Love Trilogy was McRobbie’s selection for this semester with “In the Mood for Love” being the second installment. 

The film originally debuted in 2000 and has since been hailed as one of Wong’s finest films. It has also been cited as one of the greatest films of all time. 

Set in 1960s Hong Kong, the film follows two neighbors, a man and a woman, as they discover their spouses’ infidelity. They seek solace in each other, and amidst the loneliness of the melancholic city, they find companionship and form an intimate bond. 

For those who praise the film, however, to describe the plot is to almost miss the point. Film critic Guy Lodge emphasized the film’s sensory and emotional experience in his blurb for Sight and Sound. 

“Its visual and sonic fragments cumulatively evoke not just a firmly past time and place but a mood, a feeling, a sorrow that drifts from the film’s world to ours,” he wrote. 

Tickets are available on the IU Cinema website.