campus campus student life student life

At-home workouts that beat going to the gym any day

ophousingandlivingworkout092923.jpg

If you live all the way across campus from the gym, you probably don’t want to venture on a 30-minute walk just to get a workout in. It's not a convenient or appealing choice. 

But just because you don’t live by a gym doesn’t mean all hope is lost. There are many ways to get in a good, equally successful workout from home. 

Running from home 

Who needs a treadmill when there are so many cool places to explore outside in nature? It’s so easy to start a run from home and run around campus or surrounding neighborhoods. 

There are sidewalks everywhere that allow you to go all over. You can take advantage of good weather and spend some much-needed time outside rather than run on a treadmill surrounded by other treadmills and a boring beige wall. Running or walking outdoors instead of in a gym also allows you to get some fresh air and clear your mind after being in class for a long time.  

Starting and ending the run at home is also more efficient and allows you to get more out of your run without having to worry about the time it takes to walk back from the gym. 

Yoga 

Doing a nice yoga session in the comfort of your home can help relax and calm the mind after a long day. It can also help start the day off on the right foot.  

You don’t even need a yoga mat or that much space to do yoga; just a little free carpeted area at home will do.  

It's less stressful doing yoga at home on your own because you don’t have to worry about all the people around you or the dirty floor your hand may graze. You have more freedom to breathe, play music out loud and focus on yourself without the chaos of the outside world closing in on you. 

Muscle strengthening 

If you don’t have the space for weights at home, it’s okay; you don’t need them to get in an equally successful workout! You can do jumping jacks, squats, lunges and planks without a gym. If you don’t have enough room in your house, you can do these exercises in your backyard too. You also don’t need dumbbells from the gym to do pushups and core exercises.  

Creating a schedule with how many sets and how many reps of each exercise you’ll do will help you stay on track and ensure you do everything. Start out small, and build up as you go. If you want to add makeshift weights later on, you can do lunges or squats while holding a milk carton or a bag of apples.