city crime & courts

IUPD receives report of sexual assault by contracted janitorial worker Tuesday

Crime Filler

Editor’s Note: This story includes mention of sexual violence. Resources are available here.

The IU Police Department received a report of sexual assault Tuesday that reportedly occurred on Oct. 7.

A contracted janitorial services worker reported that their supervisor at a third-party company forced them to drink alcohol while working and then fondled them during their evening shift Oct. 7, according to an IU Bloomington crime notice. Then, at a separate job site during the same shift, the suspect reportedly followed the victim into the restroom and sexually assaulted them.

The first incident reportedly occurred at an unknown residence hall dining hall at approximately 12:30 a.m., while the second incident reportedly took place in the restroom of the Indiana Memorial Union at approximately 1:30 a.m. Both locations were closed to the public during the incidents, according to the crime notice.

The suspect, a 31-year-old white man, is known to IUPD. He has been issued a trespass order from all IU properties, meaning he is prohibited from enteringall IU premises for any reason.

Neither the victim nor the suspect are students or employees at IU. According to the crime notice, IU has taken action to terminate the janitorial services contract with the vendor. The vendor is no longer permitted to provide any services to the university or on campus.

IUPD is actively investigating these incidents and encourages anyone with information on this crime to call 812-855-4111 or Crimes Stoppers at 1-317-262-8477.

A list of resources is available here if you or someone you know has experienced sexual harassment or abuse.