COLUMN: A guide to Bloomington tailgate fashion

enttailgatefashion-jpg

The art of the game day outfit is ever-changing. From scoping various Instagram accounts for custom college gear to placing a last-minute order at the bookstore, this process can be difficult. 

Here is the official guide to shopping for school spirit in Bloomington, so you don’t get caught wearing the same outfit as someone else at the tailgate.  

Hoosier A1 Vintage 

Hidden away in the alley between Pitaya and The Indiana Shop lies the top spot for vintage clothing. Since its founding in July 2019, Hoosier A1 Vintage's mission has been to “supply Hoosiers with the highest quality vintage, at the best price”. If you happen to stop by, you may or may not run into a familiar face from the IU men’s basketball team.  

The store’s commitment to quality and affordable apparel has made it a fan favorite for students and locals. Whether you're looking for an authentic piece of Hoosier history or a quick wardrobe refresh, Hoosier A1 is your place. One of my personal favorite finds was a black Ed Hardy long-sleeve that transported me back to 2007 (it can currently be found hanging in my closet). The possibilities are endless at this Kirkwood staple.  

The store is open from 12 to 5 p.m. Friday through Sunday at 417 E. Kirkwood Ave. You can also find more information at hoosiera1vintage.com & @hoosiera1vintage on Instagram. 

The Cat’s Closet 

Cat lovers and vintage shoppers unite at The Cat’s Closet, a quirky boutique set to open its doors on Oct. 7. As you look for your next gameday outfit, you will find yourself surrounded by the presence of adoptable cats. Partnered with the City of Bloomington’s animal shelter, sustainability and animal welfare go hand and hand in this new haunt. The Cat’s Closet is the place to find high-quality and size-inclusive apparel. Mark your calendars and make sure to pay a visit for the chance to update your game-day wardrobe. 

The Cat’s Closet is open 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday and 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday through Sunday at 223 South Pete Ellis Drive Suite 1 & 2. You can also find more information at thecatscloset1.com and @thecatscloset1 on Instagram. 

Ragstock 

Ragstock has officially arrived in Bloomington, and it is STOCKED. Founded in Minneapolis in 1954, it is one of the oldest and longest-running retailers of vintage and recycled clothing. Ragstock offers a diverse range of clothing and accessories that are bound to make you stand out. Although not dedicated primarily to Indiana spirit, you are still able to shop for one-of-a-kind pieces that fit our cream and crimson color scheme. At the spacious location on Morton Street, you can spend hours going from rack to rack. From the in-trend motorcycle jacket to tiny red sunnies, you can find everything you never knew you needed at this spot. 

Ragstock is open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday at 301 North Morton Street. You can also find more information at ragstock.com and @ragstock on Instagram. 

Whether you’re a die-hard Hoosier fan, a vintage enthusiast or are looking for something to help you stand out, Bloomington has the spots for you. Game day fashion is more than just clothing; it is the expression of your spirit through your style.  

Embrace these choices and get ready to make a statement this Homecoming!