sports women's soccer

A sloppy second half costs No. 25 Indiana a victory against No. 20 Michigan State

spiuwssidebar101223.jpeg

Indiana women’s soccer entered the match Thursday seeking its first victory against Michigan State since 2020.  

Indiana started the game with high energy as they appeared to be the more aggressive team out of the gate. Indiana had a pair of shots in the first five minutes of play from junior midfielder Sydney Masur and freshman defender Piper Coffield — last week’s Big Ten freshman of the week. Neither shot found the back of the net. 

Michigan State’s only threatening opportunity of the first half came about halfway through the half as Indiana junior midfielder Sydney Masur attempted to pass a ball back to junior goalkeeper Jamie Gerstenberg and under hit the pass, forcing Gerstenberg to come out of the box. Michigan State was able to intercept the pass and dribble past Gerstenberg. The ball was crossed to Michigan State senior forward MJ Andrus, but she was unable to put the shot on target.  

In the 37th minute of the match, Indiana redshirt sophomore midfielder Ava Akeel crossed a ball into the Michigan State 18-yard box and a Spartan defender deflected the ball into the air. The ball went over the head of senior goalkeeper Kaitlyn Parks to give Indiana a 1-0 lead.  

Indiana led possession in the first half and outshot the Spartans 7-3 with a pair of shots on goal. The Hoosiers appeared to be in control of the game, but once the second half began it was a completely different game.  

Michigan State wasted no time in the second half, equalizing in just two minutes as Spartan defender Raegan Cox gained possession of the ball after a scramble inside the Hoosiers’ 18-yard box. Cox passed the ball back to senior midfielder Justina Gaynor waiting atop the box who then fired a left-footed shot into the bottom left corner of the net to equalize the contest.  

Indiana failed to connect passes and maintain possession like it did in the first half. It was quite the opposite for Michigan State, as it dominated possession throughout the second half.  

After the equalizer from Michigan State early in the second half, both teams had a few opportunities but were unable to find the game winning goal.  

The draw puts both Indiana and Michigan State at 4-1-2 in conference play. The Hoosiers will remain at home Sunday as they take on theMichigan.  

Indiana’s match against the Wolverines will begin at 3 p.m. at Bill Armstrong Stadium and will broadcast on Big Ten Plus.  

Follow reporters Quinn Richards (@Quinn_richa) and PJ Katona (@PJ_Katona) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s soccer season.