sports volleyball

Indiana volleyball sweeps Maryland on the road

spiuvbrecap100723.jpg

Indiana and Maryland faced off Saturday night after both teams played conference matchups the night before. Indiana lost to No. 14 Penn Statein a tough five set match, while Maryland beat No. 16 Minnesota for the first time in program history in another hard-fought five set match. The Hoosiers swept the Terrapins in College Park, picking up their first Big Ten road win of the season. 

Early in the first set, Indiana struggled with passing the Maryland serve, leading to a four-point run for the Terrapins early in the set. Indiana head coach Steve Aird used a challenge early in the set on a net violation, but it was unsuccessful. Immediately after, he responded by drawing up two successful plays to tie the match at 11.  

Junior setter Camryn Haworth served hard for Indiana and led the Hoosiers on the run that helped them pull away with the set. A double contact on Maryland and a kill from sophomore outside hitter Candela Alonso-Corcelles sealed the opening set for the Hoosiers, 25-18. 

The second set opened with another back-and-forth service fight from both teams before Indiana pulled away again, winning 25-19. Through the first two sets both middle blockers, senior Savannah Kjolhede and graduate Kaley Rammelsberg, along with Alonso-Crocelles, led the Hoosiers with nine kills each.  

Haworth had four kills on five swings and three service aces through the end of the second set, putting together an all-around performance. Although the Hoosiers were firing offensively, Maryland had seven blocks compared to Indiana’s two. 

As the Hoosiers looked to close out the match in a three-set sweep, Maryland came into the third set hungry. However, Indiana ultimately took the set 25-20.  

Offensively, Maryland used the tip in its favor, finding the floor and avoiding the block.  

Indiana counteracted Maryland’s early lead with touch serving, which battered Maryland’s serve receive and earned Indiana points quickly. Indiana freshman libero Ramsey Gary flew all over the court in the third set digging balls and keeping the Hoosiers alive. 

Overall, Kjolhede led the Hoosiers with 12 kills, hitting .522. Alonso-Corcelles added 11 and Rammelsberg had 10 to round out the balanced Indiana attack. Haworth finished an all-around night with 30 assists, seven digs, six kills and a trio of aces.  

Indiana hit .279 compared to .174 from Maryland, but the Terps had eight blocks to Indiana’s five. Indiana avoided its first two loss weekend in Big Ten play and sit at .500 in conference play at 3-3. The win at Maryland marked the first Big Ten road sweep for Indiana since the 2019 season. 

Next up the Hoosiers face in-state rival Purdue at home Oct. 11. The match begins at 6 p.m. and can be viewed on Big Ten Network.