sports men's soccer

Indiana men’s soccer rides three-game win streak into Maryland

spiumspreview101923.JPG

After failing to win its first three conference matches, Indiana men’s soccer has defeated its last two Big Ten opponents and is on a three-game win streak. The Hoosiers have climbed up to fifth place in the Big Ten standings and find themselves in the midst of an extremely tight title race. The four teams above Indiana are all tied with 10 points, while the Hoosiers have eight points in five conference matches.  

“We have the opportunity to control our own destiny,” head coach Todd Yeagley said at Wednesday’s press conference.  

Indiana will look to keep climbing the table when it takes on Maryland this Friday. The Hoosiers faced the Terps twice last season, with the teams settling for a draw in their regular season matchup and the Hoosiers winning the second encounter in the Big Ten Tournament. 

Maryland is winless in conference play this season and is coming off a 2-2 draw against Michigan State. The Terps have lost four of their six Big Ten matchups this season, and currently sit in last place in the Big Ten Standings with just two points.  

Maryland’s defensive struggles have played a big part in their failure to win any of their conference matchups, as they haven’t been able to keep a clean sheet against a conference opponent yet. The Terps have conceded 17 goals in 12 matches this season, with 10 of those goals coming against conference opponents. Opponents average 10 shots per game against Maryland, meaning that Indiana should have goal-scoring opportunities against this struggling backline.  

Offensively, Maryland hasn’t seen the same struggles its back line has. The Terps have scored 15 goals in their 12 matches this season, and they are coming off their two best goal-scoring performances this season. Maryland has scored a total of eight goals in their last two matches, meaning that the Hoosiers’ back line will need to be at their best if they hope to slow down this attack. 

The Hoosiers themselves have had a stretch of games where their offense has been clicking. Indiana has scored multiple goals in each of its last three matches as it comes into this match with a three-game win streak. Junior forward Sam Sarver has been at the heart of these offensive performances for the Hoosiers, scoring two goals and assisting twice in the last three matches. Sarver won himself the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week award for his performances. 

Indiana has also seemingly found its answer at the striker position, with senior forward Karsen Henderlong starting as the lone striker in each of the last three matches and scoring two goals in the process. Head coach Todd Yeagley rotated the striker spot with different formations and personnel, but Henderlong’s form has provided some stability at the position.  

Indiana’s back line has been a bright spot for the team, with the Hoosiers shutting out six opponents this season while only conceding eight goals in 13 matches. The backline also contributed offensively in Indiana’s last match against Ohio State, with senior defender Joey Maher scoring the opening goal in the match. Maher’s performances got him the Big Ten Defender of the Week award, marking consecutive weeks in which an Indiana player has won a weekly award. 

Indiana is dealing with some injuries to freshman forward Clay Murador and senior defender Hugo Bacharach, who has recently been deployed as a midfielder. Bacharach suffered a shoulder injury against Ohio State, while Murador injured his foot in the same match. Yeagley said the team is optimistic Bacharach will be ready for Friday’s match against Maryland, but there are doubts about Murador’s availability for the match. 

The match will kick off at 8:30 p.m. Friday at Ludwig Field. It will be broadcast on Big Ten Network. 

Follow reporters Leo Paes (@Leordpaes) and Jovanni Salazar (@jio_duz_it) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s soccer season.