campus

Discovering Bloomington’s hidden affordable culinary gems

cahomecomingrestaurants2-jpg

It can be easy to eat at the same few restaurants every time you go out with friends or need a study break. Mother Bear’s Pizza, BuffaLouie’s and Runcible Spoon are just a few of the many well-known dining options found in Bloomington. However, here are a few other options to try out this Homecoming weekend when those usual spots become mundane. 

Café Pizzeria 

Bloomington’s oldest pizzeria is lined with iconic IU décor and is well-known for its stromboli and homemade pickles. Their pizza is well made, the service is quick and it is easily a cheaper option than Goodfellas and Mother Bear’s Pizza. This Kirkwood gem has a vast menu with pizza, sandwiches, appetizers and burgers. They have available options for takeout and delivery through DoorDash and UberEats.   

Hours: 11 a.m. – 9 p.m. Monday – Thursday, 11 a.m. – 10 p.m. Friday – Saturday, closed Sunday 

Osteria Rago 

This authentic Italian restaurant and deli is the perfect date night spot. Osteria Rago can be a little difficult to find, however, it is located down the alley between Café Pizzeria and the Village Deli. They serve a wide variety of pasta, sandwiches and entrees on their menu. It is an affordable option for Italian lovers, with a great atmosphere and service. Takeout orders are available by calling (812) 822-0694.  

Hours: 11 a.m. – 9 p.m. Tuesday – Saturday, large private dining available Sunday and Monday 

Hive 

An aesthetic counter-serve restaurant that is still close to campus, Hive is a great place where students can study and try new dishes with an international flair. This restaurant is further off campus than other options; however, the food and quiet space to study are worth the walk. With a variety of sandwiches, soups, bowls and desserts, the Hive’s menu is filling for those who are vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free. Takeout is available through their website 

Hours: 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. Monday – Friday, 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Sunday 

Mura Sushi and Korean 

Mura Sushi and Korean is a great option for international cuisine. Located on 10th Street, this little restaurant is the key spot for traditional Korean dishes and sushi. Their vast menu has items ranging from sushi rolls to noodle entrees to bento boxes. It is perfect for a college student on a budget. Mura Sushi and Korean offers takeout and delivery options through the DoorDash app 

Hours: 11:30 a.m. – 11:30 p.m. Monday – Friday, 12 p.m. – 11 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday