sports golf

Indiana women’s places seventh at Glass City Invitational

spiuwgrecap092823.jpg

Indiana women’s golf capped off its third tournament of the season in Toledo, Ohio at the Glass City Invitational on Tuesday. The Hoosiers scored a 905, 41-over par, in three rounds of play to finish in seventh place in a field of 10 teams. 

Indiana started poorly in the first round with a 308, 20-over par — its worst single-round score of the season. The Hoosiers were tied for eighth with Michigan after day one. In all three of Indiana’s tournaments, its first-round scores have been the worst. 

The Hoosiers improved by seven strokes in the second round, firing a 301, 13-over par, but remained tied for eighth as the entire field improved. Redshirt junior Caroline Smith and sophomore Chloe Johnson each shot 74, 2-over par in the round. 

Indiana took another leap in the final round, scoring a 296, 8-over par to jump into a tie for seventh. The Hoosiers’ score was the fifth best of the round. Smith scored a 72, even-par — the only Hoosier to do so in the tournament. 

Smith led Indiana for the first time this season. Her three-round score of 219, 3-over par set a career-best while earning a tie for ninth place overall. She carded six birdies in the tournament, four of them coming in her third round 72.  

Sophomore Chloe Johnson was second on the scoreboard for the Hoosiers. Last week’s co-Big Ten Player of the Week scored a 225, 9-over par in the tournament and tied for 22nd. 

Senior Dominika Burdova tied for 35th to finish third for Indiana. Burdova shot a 229, 13-over par in her second tournament of the season. 

Fifth-year senior Caroline Craig followed behind Burdova with a 233, 17-over par. Craig finished t-43. Redshirt sophomore Maddie May rounded out Indiana’s lineup with a 236, 20-over par. May tied for 50th. 

Indiana had two players competing as individuals. Sophomore Faith Johnson matched May’s score of 236, 20-over par, highlighted by a final round 75, 3-over. Freshman Nicole Kolbas scored a 242, 26-over par in her second appearance this season. 

The Hoosiers reversed course from their performance at the Badger Invitational Sept. 17-19. Indiana ranked third in pars in Toledo — notching 169 — but was ninth in birdies made with a mere 24.  

Indiana fell below average in all three scoring categories in Toledo. The Hoosiers were sixth in par 3 and par 4 scoring, with averages of 3.22 and 4.24, respectively. They ranked eighth in par 5 scoring averaging 5.18. 

Indiana was one of three Big Ten teams in the field. Michigan State finished third with an 878, 14-over par. Michigan placed fifth with an 881, 17-over par. 

The Hoosiers finished one stroke behind sixth place. The University of Miami (FL) scored a 904, 40-over par. 

Next up for Indiana is its penultimate fall tournament, the Evie Odom Invitational. Hosted by Old Dominion, the tournament will take place Oct. 6-8 in Virginia Beach, Virginia at Princess Anne Country Club. 
Follow reporter Will Foley (@foles24) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s golf season.