sports volleyball

Indiana volleyball sweeps 305 Challenge in Miami

spiuvbrecap091823.jpeg

Indiana volleyball finished out the non-conference portion of its schedule this weekend in Miami at the 305 Challenge. The Hoosiers played in their final invitational of the season facing the University of Miami, Stetson University, Jacksonville University and Florida International University in two straight doubleheaders. 

The cream and crimson opened play Friday, Sept. 15 in their first of two matches of the day against Stetson. The Hoosiers swept the Hatters 25-12, 25-17 and 25-10. Sophomore opposite Avry Tatum led the team with 11 kills on 15 swings. Senior middle blocker Savannah Kjolhede had six kills hitting .667 across the three sets.  

The Hoosiers fired offensively all match hitting .341 through the match. Another bright spot for the Hoosiers was freshman middle blocker Ava Vickers who came off the bench and recorded a career-high six kills. 

In the second match of Friday’s doubleheader, the Hoosiers faced Miami. The Hoosiers beat the Hurricanes in a five-set closely fought match winning 25-22, 23-25, 25-18, 23-25 and 15-12. Tatum, again, had a team-high 17 kills hitting .361 through the five sets.  

The Hoosiers had four other hitters in double figures alongside Tatum. Graduate middle blocker Kaley Rammelsberg ended the match with 15 kills on 31 swings. Freshman libero Ramsey Gary and junior setter Camryn Haworth both recorded four kills apiece. Haworth also matched her career high in assists with 51 in the five-set win over the Hurricanes. The win over Miami is the Hoosiers’ first nonconference road win since defeating the University of Kentucky in 2019. 

On their final day of non-conference play, the Hoosiers opened another doubleheader against Jacksonville. Haworth hit a career milestone with her 2,000th assist during the three-set sweep. Haworth and the Hoosiers won 25-20, 25-17 and 25-22. Senior outside hitter Morgan Geddes produced the final five points of the match for the Hoosiers and ended the match with 11 kills on 26 swings. 

The Hoosiers finished the weekend against Florida International, winning in three sets 25-15, 25-21 and 25-19. Tatum finished the match with 12 kills and Rammelsberg ended with 11 kills and six blocks. In the final game of the weekend, Haworth finished with 35 assists, six digs, three aces and a trio of blocks to cap off an all-around weekend.  

Tatum paced the offense throughout the weekend, finishing with 40 kills, 11 digs and four aces even after only playing in three of the four matches. Along with Tatum, Rammelsberg also had an impressive weekend finishing with 31 kills and 12 blocks in nine sets played. 

Now that their non-conference schedule is complete, the Hoosiers sit at 10-3 looking ahead into conference play. Indiana opens Big Ten play at home against Illinois at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 20 inside Wilkinson Hall. 

Follow reporter Michael Livingston (.@mblivingston_) for updates throughout the Indiana volleyball season.