arts community events

Fifth annual Black y Brown Arts Festival to be held this weekend

entblackybrownfest090623-jpg

The Bloomington Black y Brown Arts Festival will kick off its fifth annual arts celebration this weekend. The two-day event will be held from 6-11 p.m. Friday at the Fourth Street Garage Storefront and 1-8 p.m. Saturday at Switchyard Park. 

This festival is a celebration and showcase of African, African American, Hispanic, Latinx, Asian, Pacific Islander and Native American creative arts and artists. It aims to expand art appreciation, as well as provide an affirming and engaging space for artists of color to share their work. 

More than 30 artists will showcase their work at the festival. Attendees can expect to see several forms of visual art like paintings, drawings and sculptures, as well as performance art including dance and poetry. Ceramics, jewelry and other crafted items will also be on display. 

[RELATED: First Thursdays to return this week with local artists, attractions]

The festival will begin with an art gallery exhibition Friday evening at the Fourth Street Garage Storefront. The night will conclude with a film showing at 9 p.m. by Cicada Cinema, a pop-up movie theater based in Bloomington.  

On Saturday, a family-friendly market at Switchyard Park will feature additional visual art. Starting at 4 p.m., there will be live shows from performance groups and bands.  

Saturday’s art market will provide attendees with an interactive experience of food vendors,  art activities and community information booths. Many artists will also be selling their art or other merchandise for attendees to purchase. 

The festival is free and open to the public. For more information, visit the Black y Brown Arts Festival website