student life

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Incorporated placed on cease and desist for hazing

caalphaphialpha090523.jpg

The IU chapter of the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated was placed on cease and desist Friday for hazing. All activities within the chapter are suspended until further notice.

There is currently one other IU fraternity on cease and desist, according to IU’s list of organizations on disciplinary status. Kappa Sigma was placed on cease and desist for alcohol, endangering others and hazing on Aug. 15.

[Related: Kappa Sigma placed on cease and desist for alcohol, hazing, endangering others]

There are eight organizations on suspension, five on disciplinary status, one on an interim directive and two on a voluntary resolution agreement. Since 2022, 18 organizations have been on disciplinary status. Despite IU’s strict anti-hazing policy, 11 of the 18 organizations achieved disciplinary status due to hazing, among other breaches.

According to IU's definitions of disciplinary statutes, cease and desist is a temporary measure placed upon aspects of chapter operations when there is an immediate threat or ongoing investigation. During a cease and desist period, all organizational activities come to a halt within the chapter. Further acts of misconduct could lead to additional consequences such as suspension or expulsion from the university.