arts community events exhibits

'Derivations' exhibit to open Friday at Grunwald Gallery

entderivationsgallery082123-jpg

The Grunwald Gallery of Art will welcome guests to the opening reception of “Derivations,” a contemporary ceramics exhibition, at 6 p.m. Friday in the Fine Arts Building.  

An eclectic variety of works by 11 different ceramic artists who studied at IU Bloomington will explore the diverse uses of clay as a medium. Pieces will range from the figurative to the avant-garde, including sculptures and vessels, as well as pieces that combine technology with ceramics, according to the gallery’s website.  

[RELATED: Jerry Seinfeld to perform at IU Auditorium Oct. 20]

The exhibit features work from artists based in Bloomington and around the U.S. Some featured artists, like surrealist sculptor Tom Bartel, specialize in creating the “disturbing and humorous.” Others, like Liz Peachacek and Matt Fiske, have developed portfolios of vases, cups and bowls. According to his website, artist Jonathan Christensen Caballero’s conceptual work reflects on the labor and identity of Latin American immigrants.  

For the full list of featured artists, visit the Eskenazi School of Art's website.

The reception is free to attend. “Derivations” will be showing at the gallery until Nov. 11. Starting on Friday, the Grunwald Gallery is open to the public from noon to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.