politics

Former Indiana Secretary of Commerce Brad Chambers joins race for open governor seat

cabradchambers081923.jpg

Former Indiana Secretary of Commerce Brad Chambers, a Republican, officially launched his bid for Indiana Governor Aug. 17. His announcement comes less than two weeks after he stepped down from his former position on Aug. 6.

Chambers said in a statement that under his leadership the Indiana Economic Development Corporation, a public-private partnership charged with growing the state economy, secured more than $33 billion in committed capital investments, money that an investor has agreed to give to an investment fund.

“As Indiana’s Secretary of Commerce, the last two years, I have witnessed firsthand how important leadership, vision, urgency and aspiration are to the future of Indiana,” Chambers said in the statement.  “I am running for Governor because I want Hoosiers of today and Hoosiers of tomorrow to believe that Indiana offers an opportunity for an excellent life.”

[Related: Former Attorney General Curtis Hill announces run for Indiana governor]

Chambers is also the CEO of Buckingham Companies, a real estate investment company he founded as an IU student in 1984.

Chambers joins a crowded race for the Republican nomination in the race to succeed Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb, who cannot seek reelection due to term limits. Former Attorney General Curtis Hill, Indiana Sen. Mike Braun, Lt. Gov. Suzanna Crouch and former Indiana Economic Development Corporation president Eric Doden – all Republicans – have also filed paperwork to run. Jennifer McCormick, former superintendent of public instruction and a Democrat, also announced her bid for Governor in May.