arts iu cinema theater

One woman show ‘Fleabag’ to screen at IU Cinema Wednesday

entfleabaglivepreview082923-jpg

A screening of Phoebe Waller-Bridge's one woman show “Fleabag” will premiere at 7 p.m. Wednesday at IU Cinema on Seventh Street.    

The British comedy, written by and starring Waller-Bridge, originally debuted as a play in 2013 at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, and eventually headlined London’s Soho Theater. In 2016, BBC produced a television series based on the show, which received widespread critical acclaim and amassed a huge fanbase.  

Wednesday’s screening was filmed in 2019 at the National Theatre in London and directed by Vicky Jones.  

[RELATED: Bloomington Comedy Festival to name funniest Bloomington comedian Thursday]

The play follows a young woman in London as she wades through struggles with grief, dysfunctional relationships, selfishness and self-loathing – all while trying to keep her guinea pig-themed café afloat. Its heroine, the titular Fleabag, is lovable and hilarious, despite her many flaws.  

Film critic Peter Sobczynski said the show is a classic in his review for eFilmCritic.com.  

“The material is so good and enduring, even those familiar with the series will find themselves laughing as if they were hearing it all for the first time,” he said of the play’s screening.  

Tickets are $12 for IU students and $15 for general admission. Tickets are available on IU Cinema’s website.