sports men's basketball women's basketball

Indiana basketball’s Jackson-Davis, Holmes named IU Athletes of the Year

spiumwbb072023.jpg

Former Indiana men’s basketball’s Trayce Jackson-Davis and Indiana women’s basketball’s Mackenzie Holmes were named the 2022-23 IU Athletes of the Year Thursday afternoon, according to a press release from IU Athletics.

Jackson-Davis, who was taken No. 57 in the 2023 NBA Draft and acquired by the Golden State Warriors, enjoyed a highly successful individual campaign in his final season in Bloomington. He posted career bests of 20.9 points, nearly 11 rebounds, four assists and just under three blocks per game as a senior.

[Related: NBA Summer League updates: Jackson-Davis shines in Warriors’ finale]

The Greenwood, Indiana native surged to third in the program’s history in points with 2,258 and departed as the leader in rebounds and blocks with 1,143 and 270, respectively. He garnered a plethora of honors for his efforts, including the Karl Malone Award for the nation’s top power forward, first-team All-American, All-Big Ten first team and All-Big Ten defensive team recognition.

Holmes boasted a tremendous statistical season for the highly touted Indiana women’s team. The then-senior forward paced the team in points with 22.3, rebounds with 7.3 and just under two blocks per game. Holmes led the Hoosiers to a Big Ten regular-season title and No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

[Related: COLUMN: Mackenzie Holmes may not be NPOY, but at least give her consideration]

Holmes, from Gorham, Maine, led the team with nine double-doubles and entered the program’s top five all-time marks in scoring and blocks. She was awarded Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year this past season, the first in the program’s history and picked up All-Big Ten honors for the third time in her career.

“Congratulations to Mackenzie and Trayce for their well-deserved selections as our 2022-23 Athletes of the Year,” Indiana University Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Scott Dolson said in the release. “As first-team All-Americans and Wooden Award finalists, they each enjoyed individual successes that rival those of any other past great that has played for our tradition-rich basketball programs.”