NBA Summer League updates: Jackson-Davis shines in Warriors’ finale

spiubbnbarecap071723.jpg

With neither the Los Angeles Lakers nor the Golden State Warriors advancing to the playoffs, former Indiana men’s basketball’s Jalen Hood-Schifino and Trayce Jackson-Davis have concluded their 2023 NBA Summer League slate.

Hood-Schifino — drafted No. 17 overall to the Lakers in June — mostly performed well throughout the team’s two California Classic matchups and first three Summer League games. He displayed potency in the midrange and craftiness at the rim, hallmarks of his time with the Hoosiers that warranted his first-round selection.

On Friday night against the Memphis Grizzlies, however, Hood-Schifino and the Lakers struggled mightily. Los Angeles floundered offensively and didn’t have many answers on the defensive end as they fell 100-69. Hood-Schifino logged 27 minutes and registered just 8 points shooting 3-for-17 from the field overall and 2-for-9 from 3-point range.

Saturday afternoon, Jackson-Davis and the Warriors took on the Toronto Raptors for their fifth and final Summer League contest. The Warriors were defeated 108-101, dropping to 0-5, though Jackson-Davis shined.

The forward — taken No. 57 in the 2023 NBA Draft — poured in 18 points and added 10 rebounds for his first professional double-double. He shot 8-for-12 from the field in 25 minutes and was second on the team in points.

In his two Summer League games, Jackson-Davis averaged 16 points and nearly nine rebounds, six of which offensive, on 67% shooting.

The Lakers squared off with the Los Angeles Clippers Sunday night to conclude the five-game slate, but Hood-Schifino was sidelined with an apparent right groin injury, according to Lakers beat reporter Mike Trudell.

The severity of Hood-Schifino’s injury is unknown, but it is likely he was merely held out for precautionary purposes.