sports track & field

Indiana track and field’s Stone places 13th, Carrel 19th in pole vault at NCAA Outdoor Championships

spiut&f060823.jpg

The 2023 NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships began Wednesday, as two of five total Indiana athletes competed in the first day of events: junior Nathan Stone and sophomore Tyler Carrel in the men’s pole vault finals.  

Stone cleared a height of 5.45 meters, placing 13th overall after failing to clear the 5.60-meter vault. Stone is no stranger to this competition, as he qualified for the finals as a freshman two years ago. This year’s performance was an improvement from the 2021 NCAA Outdoor Championships, where his best height was the 5.15-meter vault.  

Carrel placed 19th in his NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championship debut after clearing a height of 5.30 meters. Last year in the NCAA East Preliminary Round, Carrel failed to qualify for finals after tying for 15th with a height of 5.19 meters. At this rate of improvement, Carrel will likely reach new heights in his junior season. 

The pole vault event closed with Kyle Rademeyer, a junior from the University of South Alabama, taking gold with a height of 5.70 meters and the fewest number of failed attempts.  

The NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships continues at 3:30 p.m. Thursday. Indiana senior Paola Fernandez-Sola will compete in the women’s long jump at 9 p.m. and sophomore Jayden Ulrich will compete in the women’s shot put at 9:30 p.m. The championships will air on ESPN+.